Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wookie68

Copy Files with Progress Bar

2 posts in this topic

Hello All -

I just ran across AutoIt today and am amazed at all that it will do. I was assigned the task of maintaining a group of machines at work and wanted a way to automate things. This is most defintely it. I see quite a few examples of different things, but not sure where to start.

I figured I'd start out with something hopefully simple. I'd like to copy three separate folders from a removable drive (about 6.5 GB total) to the machine's local C: drive. Being that removable drive letters can change, I'd like to read the source folders from an INI file. While the files are copying, to let the user know something is still happening, can this be tied to a progress bar?

Eventually, I'd like to have it do other things from a user selectable perspective with feedback (env variables, create/merge registry entries, add data to a log file, call other scripts), but figured the copying would be a good start. I will do some more reading through the many great examples this weekend.

Thanks for help in getting going!

In my wanna be files copy dialog which is trying to mimic Microsoft's, I've put two progress bars and a label. First you can list the files to an array, then update the label for the current copied file and update the progress bars. The upper one reflects the overall progress which is the number of files copied. The other progress bar updates as you write the buffered file. So if it's like 2MB+ file you'll update it each time you've completed writing the buffer, i.e a chunk of data of it.

I don't have access to my old PC right now or ever since it's dead ;) but I hope you get the idea.