Running a script on a remote machine

Lunatic

I've got a full household, people and computers both. I'm the only idiot smart enough to maintain them. (Oh, joy!) Not important, I know - but I want it known that I'm not trying to do anything malicious. Specifically trying to run general cleanup programs I'm making scripts for (defragmenter, etc.) And really, I don't want to go into everybody's bedrooms, etc, to do this. So.

Trying to create a script that I can run from my computer that will do one of two things. Either instruct a specific script/program to run on the target computer, or one that will run entirely from my computer and enforce things in the target computer.

Problem is, I've got no idea how to run a program remotely like this. Is it possible (and reasonably easy, since I'm not a serious code-jockey), or should I bark up a different tree? - And if possible, how?

[center][/center]

Look at "psexec" from "PSTools".

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to
build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe
trying to produce bigger and better idiots.
So far, the Universe is winning.

Tried that, didn't work. (Some odd issue that will not allow my machine to access about half the computers in the house, when trying to run the exact same thing on all of them.) Tried asking for help on pstools forums, no reply. Ah well - thanks for the intel regardless.

[center][/center]

Tried that, didn't work. (Some odd issue that will not allow my machine to access about half the computers in the house, when trying to run the exact same thing on all of them.) Tried asking for help on pstools forums, no reply. Ah well - thanks for the intel regardless.

one thing about trying to do stuff on multiple computers, if you don't have some form of centrlized authentication generally you will fail to gain remote access to the machine. if your create an account on each machine with the same user and password passthorugh windows authentication will let you in. also a firewall (xpsp2 and up) will stop you.

i've had luck using the windows built in command "at" it's a schedualer so the program arn't run instantly but it's built in and easy to use

just type at \\computername "Command"

• 1 year later...