Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WilliamWhite

All separate .au's or one in all ?

3 posts in this topic

Hello

Maybe this is been handled somewhere in the forum, then my apoligise, I couldnt find it.

Although a rather noob, I still doing more and more with Autoit. With my last programm hitting the 1000 lines mark i have a question.

In proper use of Auto it, is it more advicable to group simular parts in separate au files and combine them with #includes in one...

Or make one big file and let the program be there in total?

I start to think maybe its better to separate them but version control seems awfull difficult for me then.

Any suggestions from the pro's ?

regards,

William

WilliamWhite,

I keep my main script in one file and then use includes when I need regularly-used functions - either from the standard includes or my own library.

If you find your script is getting too big, have you discovered the #Region/#EndRegion directives in SciTE? These allow you to shrink the parts of your script you do not want to see at the moment - think of OutLine View in Word. I currently have a 4000+ line main script in SciTE which, when shrunk using this technique, fits onto a single screen.

You may need to use the full version of SciTE4AutoIt3 to get this functionality (I have used the full version for so long now I have forgotten just what the cut-down version does! : ) and you can download it here if you would like to try it. It really is worth it - you get lots more goodies to play with which make scripting with AutoIt even easier. (Jos, another commission payment please! :huggles: )

I hope that helps. :D

M23

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind._______My UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

#regions !!!! that was what i was looking for!

THANKS

Now i use it and ahve all still in one program.

A side step...I now started to use the include for testing small parts. I make a small au3 with a variable in it that surpases the main programengine in the main program. So when i want to test a function i can do that with all variables and options available in the small.au3 When it then works i put it in the big one :D

But again thanks for the regions, you saved my day

regards,

William