how to detect what OS

Guest LambChopMan

Guest LambChopMan

Systems files are stored in different locations in different operating system.

What function I can use to detect what OS the user is using so that I can use the "if " to copy files.

Thanks.

What function I can use to detect what OS the user is using so that I can use the "if " to copy files.

Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i always a good idea to use the help You get a search tab which can or cannot work.

You get too an index tab and you can figure out other think.

In your case the index tab when paged show you @OSVERSION

Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

isn't it possible to check what the name of the windows map is? In XP it's "C:\WINDOWS" where as in win98 and win95 it's "C:\Win98" or 95. Don't know about the others but it might be a way.

Guest LambChopMan

Thanks jpm, it is a very good idea.

Berend Jan, your method can work only in some exceptional case (that the users obey everything from MS). The user can rename their windows foler to anything. Some early win95 users even have win3.1 in their systems. And don't forget there are some users upgraded from old OS to new OS. As a rule of thumb in programming -- assume little but your end user being dumb. :(

Thanks jpm, it is a very good idea.

Berend Jan, your method can work only in some exceptional case (that the users obey everything from MS).  The user can rename their windows foler to anything.  Some early win95 users even have win3.1 in their systems. And don't forget there are some users upgraded from old OS to new OS.  As a rule of thumb in programming -- assume little but your end user being dumb.  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hehehe ok dude. just making a suggestion :(

isn't it possible to check what the name of the windows map is? In XP it's "C:\WINDOWS" where as in win98 and win95 it's "C:\Win98" or 95. Don't know about the others but it might be a way.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

@WindowsDir
Use Mozilla | Take a look at My Disorganized AutoIt stuff | Very very old: AutoBuilder 11 Jan 2005 prototype I need to update my sig!