Removal drive recycle bin - code update

Stilez

As is well known, Windows doesn't create a recycle bin on removable drives (USB sticks, removable HDs, etc).

I came across "Flashbin" which is written in AutoIt, but it's got a weakness. It sits on the removable disk and must be run (or autorun) when the drive is detected, and a copy run on each drive that might get plugged in.

There are also a number of forum threads about detection of removable drives being added to the system (1 2 3 4 5 6).

Does anyone feel up to the challenge of combining these to make a utility that sits in the tray, notices removable drives being added, and operates a "flashbin" on them when they are? The idea would be that all removable drives in effect have a recycle bin, and the code for this is running once on the system itself, rather than as separate code for each drive.

I don't mind if the "bins" need managing independently. The aim is ensure any files deleted on a removable drive on my system are moved to a "flashbin" folder on that drive, unless I actually specify "delete permanently".

Since Flashbin already contains AutoIt code for a bin on one drive, and the forums contain code for detecting removable drive use, it should be easy....... :mellow:

Edited by Stilez

Rob Schneider: "You can do it!"

It's difficult since I don't know the first thing about Windows coding and I'd as soon not mess up my files by playing round with filing system APIs. if I could I would but I've dabbled enough to know I just don't "get it". Hence why I left it as a request hoping someone else might have a go :mellow:

Your new here, so allow me to explain it to you. This forum is a support forum. Not Burger King. People get irritated when a new person such as yourself ask for something to be made for them without the person lifting a finger to help. You also say you do not know anything about coding. AutoIt is one of the easiest languages there is. Take AutoIt 1 2 3. Link is in my signature. Once you finish that then make a virtual PC, and play in that. You can't mess up a virtual PC unless you really try, and then, you really haven't hurt anything. That way you won't mess up your main rig. You learn something in the process, and you you can proceed at your speed of learning.

As is well known, Windows doesn't create a recycle bin on removable drives (USB sticks, removable HDs, etc).

I am not sure where you got your knowledge from but that is not what my removable drives do. I have several removable flash/SSD drives and I have several removable plattered/HDDs. The SSDs do not use a recycle bin but the HDDs do with Windows (with Win7). Just checked a Western Digital 320 GB removable 2 1/2 inch HDD. It has a "$RECYCLE.BIN" folder in it. So please research before making such comments.

Wraithdu was in the link given and Wraithdu is a member in this forum so I know who may give you some help with the improvement to "flashbin" perhaps :mellow: