Win7 registry entries gone after an unexpected shutdown

cshorey

Hello all,

I am wondering if anyone else has run into this. I have been writing a script, where I set some entries in registry on windows 7. I have found that after an unexpected shutdown (ie pulling power, or holding down the power button) on the boot up from this, its like the system has reverted to a previous state, thus my registry modifications are gone.

For some more specific details on what I am doing. The user account I am using is the true Admin account. I start with no password on it, but set a password and set the registry for autologin with this password. I then set the HKCU run once key to call back my script. On XP and vista on an unexpected shutdown my script is called back. On Win7 not of these entries are there and the user is locked out as its prompting for the user password.

Now if I do a nice shutdown via the start menu, it does work as I wrote it.

Basically my guess is that Windows 7 has some sort of registry or system state recover mechanisum and it sees the unexpected shutdown and resumes the system in a different state, thus I lose my registry setting.

Has anyone see this, or know about this? I have tired searching the net (and here) but have come up dry so far, thus I though I would try the community here to see if others have seen this and knows whats going on.

thanks,

chris

After thinking about this further and talking with a few people I work with, we might be wondering if this could be related to uncommitted changes. Thus my registry changes are cached and when the system is reset unexpectedly my values are gone since they were never committed to disk.

I am thinking of this as a possibility since a feature of win7 is to write to the disk less.

Anyways, if anyone has seen this or has any ideas on it, let me know. So far I havent' found a way to work about this in my script.

chris