Declaring an empty array

dani

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I will not bother to debate this point as it is clear that certain individuals are sensitive about their opinions and can't handle being disagreed with, but I will state my position on this subject.

First, what is the primary target audience of AutoIt? Obviously even programmers may prefer it for simple tasks or it's originally intended purpose, but for anything more sophisticated I suspect they would generally turn to more advanced languages.

Second, not being able to declare an empty array threw me off as well. When you are not a programmer (which I am not), convenience is everything. The little things become more significant when you don't have the knowledge to instantly create your own work-around. Don't get me wrong, I have no problems using suggested alternatives when a one-line solution is not available, but it is sometimes frustrating when you're just learning the language and you have to refer to the forum every 20 minutes because your script keeps generating errors which could have been easily avoided if a logically expected function was implemented. I would also point out that as unnecessary as some might consider such a function, having it available would have probably also avoided several redundant posts about "how to create an empty array" which means less work, frustration, and arguing for the mods/developers. This is not meant as criticism of AutoIt. I have just recently started seriously using it and I like what I've seen so far. It is simply an observation. While certainly this may never be implemented as a built-in function for various reasons, I also believe that it is the worst type of arrogance to make a habit of dismissing someone's opinions and ridiculing them simply because you disagree. There are always exceptions, but in general this is not rational or reasonable behavior. I will not respond to angry or outraged replies, but go ahead if it makes you feel better. I can assure you that I won't lose any sleep. And if I am banned for simply stating an opinion then so be it. You shouldn't be hosting a forum if you can't handle an occasional disagreement.

Edited by Zimmy

Here's a thought, if you know something you're going to post is likely to get you banned, don't post it. Given the way the thread had gone and some of the inflammatory comments in your post, you're trolling. Plain and simple. I could and should ban you for that but somehow I don't think the message would get across. Laregely because you'd just come back using the "I stated my opinion and got banned" bullshit which would not be true but would be the shield you'd try to hide behind.

Now let's talk about arrogance for a second. I don't really think you're in any position to comment on my perceived arrogance. You are, after all, the one who's so arrogant to think your opinion is so luminous that it must be shared in a thread most everyone else wanted to stay dead. This from a user with a grand total (at the time of this writing) of 5 posts who registered 2 days ago. Yet people still persist in calling me arrogant?

Anyway, since some people can't handle let sleeping dogs lie this thread is now locked.