Getting version numbers from other applications

Hi

I am using AutoIt for automating some repetitve QA tasks. I have used it very little so far... Creating a GUI? Piece of cake, getting it to do anything is proving to be the hard part.

I want to take version A read a file into it save as [with a version # added to the filename] and then open version B of the application to see if it will open and contains certain data components. This I have done OK exept for adding the #'s to the filename.

My problem is getting the version number of the software. We change the version number nitely at least and I could be comparing compatability with any version.

Now in the 'About' box there is all the information I need. The text string I require is listed by AutoIt v3 Window Info as Class: Static, Instance 1, ClassnameNN Static1 and ID 1325. The Text listing there contains everything I need.

What I am struggling with is actually getting some data into that string... I seem to end up with 0 or nothing. This is how I have tried to grab it.

$version = ControlGetText("About AxCent","",1325)

$version = ControlGetText("About AxCent","","[iD:1325]")

$version = ControlGetText("About AxCent","","[Class:Static;Instance:1]")

I have also tried GUICtrlRead but didn't think this was for GUI's from other apps

And then to display its value for debugging I was using:

msgbox (0, "Axcent version", $version)

So where am I going wrong, the grab or the msg box display?

Thanks - John