Ping timeout problem

Hello. I have a problem: when internet is offline then the following example is not working as it should:

$Timeout = 1000
$host = "google.com"
$begin = TimerInit()
Ping($host,$Timeout)
MsgBox(0,"",TimerDiff($begin)) ; <-- shows ~2500ms; must ~1000ms

I don't get that problem, but I agree that it should not give 2500. If I am offline I get various times up to 60 mS, and if I'm on line up to 200mS.

@Omikron48 - I think you misunderstood.

Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.

Oh. So what your after is the timeout consistency...

Well, I can't help test it now since I'm in the middle of transferring files.

No. If you specify a maximum timeout of 1000 then you don't expect it to wait 2500. But if I try ping from the command prompt and specify a timeout of 1000 mS it takes a lot longer than 1 second the first time I try. SO probably it isn't an AutoIt problem.

Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.

When I try pinging a non-existent IP address in my network, I get a timediff of 1060ms to 1600ms, which seems reasonable since there's bound to be extra processing being done by the function other than the ping timing out itself.

BTW, my processor is an Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 @ 1.86GHz.

When I try pinging a non-existent IP address in my network, I get a timediff of 1060ms to 1600ms, which seems reasonable since there's bound to be extra processing being done by the function other than the ping timing out itself.

BTW, my processor is an Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 @ 1.86GHz.

The point of the thread is not the time variation. The point is that if you specify a maximum timeout then you would expect that if no answer was received by that time then ping would terminate and not wait any longer. So if you specify 1000mS why does it return with a time that is longer than that sometimes?