A (probably) easy progress bar question

I'm sure someone else has asked about this but I couldn't find it in a search....

I have some code that reads several arrays from Excel and then writes them in other places. The arrays tend to be pretty large, some in excess of 10,000 entries. Because of that, it take awhile, and I'd love to have a progress bar show the status of the reads/writes as they go along but at the moment all I can get it to do is start and end.

I could use an Excel write function but it takes SIGNIFICANTLY longer, which seems antithetical.

Oh yes, here's the code:

;Part Number Formatter - puts to REFINED DATA
WinSetState($oExcel, "", @SW_SHOWMAXIMIZED)
$oExcel.Run("XMLParser")
For $a = 0 To UBound($aMakes, 1) - 1
    $oXML = $oExcel.Sheets("XML DATA-"&$aMakes[$a][0])
        $oXML.Activate
            $aColumn = $aMakes[$a][1]
                $lastRow = _ExcelReadCell($oExcel, "AA1")
                    ProgressOn("Progress", "Reading XML DATA-"&$aMakes[$a][0]&" Array", "Working...")
                        $aXML = _ExcelSheetReadArray($oExcel, "XML DATA-"&$aMakes[$a][0], 2, 11, $lastRow, 1)
                            ProgressSet(100, "Done!")
                                Sleep(750)
                                    ProgressOff()
                                        For $n = UBound($aXML, 1) - 1 To 0 Step -1
                                            If StringStripWS($aXML[$n], 8) = "" Then _ArrayDelete($aXML, $n)
                                            Next
                                        $u = UBound($aXML, 1) -1
                                    ReDim $aXML[$u]
                                $oRefDat.Activate
                            ProgressOn("Progress", "Writing XML DATA-"&$aMakes[$a][0]&" Array", "Working...")
                        _ExcelSheetWriteArray($oExcel, $xlsRefDat, 4, $aColumn, $aXML, 1)
                    ProgressSet(100, "Done!")
                Sleep(750)
            ProgressOff()
        $oXML = 0
    $aXML = 0
Next

The progress bar routines have no idea what your script may be doing or how long anything takes. The bar is manually driven. You have to calculate when to set the bar to 10%, or 25%, etc. It can't automatically track the progress of a file I/O statement. Glancing at your script, the best you could do is something like divide 100 into UBound($aMakes, 1), and increment a progress bar that amount for each loop of the For/Next statement.

Edit: trashed all the quoted text

Edited by Spiff59

Arrays of a few tens of thousands elements are not scary.

The _Excel* array functions are due for a re-write in light of this information: The Excel COM interface can get/put arrays with AutoIt. If you tweak some custom functions with that, they should be blazing fast.

:idea:

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law