AutoIt upgrade install from 3.3.1.5beta to current

Good evening to all of you,

I would like to upgrade my installation from AutoIt 3.3.0.0 (with beta version added 3.3.1.5) toward the current 3.3.6.1.

I searched the forum (General help tôpics and others) plus the web using google and did not find any install restriction pages.

Does this mean :

A. I have to uninstall everything prior to upgrade to the current release?

B. I have on the contrary no specific action to take before upgrading and the install file will handle everything without my attention, not-removing/updating all the AUtoIt folders without problems?

I ask that question because I modified (I know I should most likely not have done it, but I was discovering the language and I was not very clear in my mind) a certain number of examples/templates provided with the beta to make them my own scripts, then I saved them, sometimes with the same names sometimes with different versions added in the name whne I thought about it. I would prefer the upgrade not make me loose my changes (I don't remember exactly where I did my editings, I know it's messy, I'm sorry).

So basically the answers would be : "go on the upgrade won't make you loose your files" (because old directories/files are preserved) or "you are doomed, save your whole autoit tree before reinstall from sratch", would not they?

Thank you for your help.

Gilles

PS : is it normal that the current stable release is of a version number greater than the beta? I thought beta was always a version ahead.

PPS : while loging I received a message fomr a user "oyoustar" about some financial stuff ; is it normal ? is it something you endorse?

You should first save your modified versions elsewhere. Find them out by listing in Explorer sorted on modification time, that should work. Then download and select Upgrade. The install process won't touch folders you created in the AutoIt tree.

In the future I'd recommend you copy examples or whole UDFs in a User folder to keep hem separate from the regular version. Point to the copied or modified versions from your code. First it will allow you to revert to a standard version in case of havoc. Then you won't have to mess again wih that at each release.

beta 3.3.1.5 < release 3.3.6.1 at least as I see it!

Such spamming should be reported to a moderator. It's rather rare and certainly not tolerated.

Edited by jchd

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

Your personal UDFs should never be stored in the AutoIt3\Include\ folder.

To expand on what jchd pointed out, you can create a separate folder to hold your personal UDFs then follow the instructions for adding a path to that folder in your registry.

There is a special registry value that can be created at "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AutoIt v3\AutoIt" called "Include". It should be a REG_SZ (string) value. The contents of this value are a semi-colon delimited list of directories that should be searched for files when resolving #include's in addition to the standard locations.

You could even write a simple script to do the Registry part for you.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

You don't have to uninstall manually, the installer automatically uninstalls old versions.

I don't remember exactly where I did my editings

You could easily check that with WinMerge. Just compare you current folder with the original one from the zip or whatever you feel is the easiest.

PS : is it normal that the current stable release is of a version number greater than the beta? I thought beta was always a version ahead.

That question doesn't make any sense. The releases get their version number in the order they are released, so you're looking at a old beta. There's no "current" beta at this moment. Edited by AdmiralAlkex

Thank you very much to all of you for you answers.

• I will follow your instructions (find my modified files by dates, backup my modifications in my own (in another tree) folder and upgrade ; or
  • I will use WinMerge for the diff (I did not know it, seems like Emacs DIRED mode with diff, nice!) and do the remaining as said.
  • All right for the beta/regular versions explanation.
Have a nice week end.

Gilles.