0 = "String" (True statement)

so uh i've been away from autoit for a long time, about a week ago i picked it back up.. not that i was ever much of a writer to start with :idea:

anyway i've just about got the rough outline of what im working on when i ran into a problem.

one of the functions i wrote was causing chaos, took me the better part of 2 hours to hunt down what it was.

when the function returned 0 and then was compared to a "string" no matter what the string was autoit thought it was true.

so for example

If 0 = "yes" Then Msgbox(0,"Msgbox", "TRUE")

it seems i can avoid this by just making the comparison case sensitive with ==

like wise using Return("0") instead of Return(0) also works.

im not sure if changing the return to a string will rather then a integer will work in all cases.. in any event i'd like to know why 0 = "string" is a true statement and what are my options beyond what i've already mentioned.

The numeric value of your text is indeed 0 (zero). You are comparing a number to a string, which you cannot do, so autoit will compare the numeric value of you string with the number.

For example:

$text = 'any text here'
MsgBox(0, "All text = 0", Number($text))

If 0 = $text Then
    Msgbox(0,"Num to String", "TRUE")
Else
    Msgbox(0,"Num to String", "FALSE")
EndIf

If Number(0) = Number($text) Then
    Msgbox(0,"Num to Num(text)", "TRUE")
Else
    Msgbox(0,"Num to Num(text)", "FALSE")
EndIf

If String(0) = String("yes") Then
    Msgbox(0,"String to String", "TRUE")
Else
    Msgbox(0,"String to String", "FALSE")
EndIf

hmm ok but i thought autoit did'nt have specific datatypes.

example "5" + "2" = 7

like wise "5" + 2 = 7

even though they're expressed in string form... so i dont know why i can't compare 0 to string, *scratches head*

seems a double standard here.

i probably would'nt run into this problem except i need the script im working on to read line for line a file and then act accordingly.. normally the file will contain integer however a few control strings are added.

"load" & "loop", for user friendliness i like to not do a case sensitive compare.

ok i found another solution, adding "" to a it seems to convert the integer to a string.

example

If 0 & "" = "yes" Then Msgbox(0,"Msgbox", "TRUE")

no msgbox.. cause it's now false..

so im sitting her wondering if i should just do this from the functions return, or if i should do it at the comparison.

the functions i'd like ot use in other things im not sure if returning 0 in string form "0" would have any impact on other uses, probably not...

opinions?

Edited by JoeSixpack