Modifying Melba's "recursive" file/folder search

• Moderators

Spiff59,

Got you now - thanks. :)

Looking into your SREs to see how you build up the masks - why must the damned things be so difficult? :idea:

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

• Moderators

Spiff59,

I just use simple alphanumerics as filenames - why do people have to make it so complicated by using all these other characters? :)

This seems to fix it:

$s##clude_List_Mask = "(?i)^(" & StringReplace(StringReplace(StringRegExpReplace($s##clude_List, "(\^|\$|\.)", "\\$1"), "*", ".*"), "?", ".") & ")\z" ; Convert to SRE pattern

Oh how I love SREs! :idea:

M23

P.S. Actually, despite my moaning, I am very grateful for the input - always something to improve in any code (especially mine!). :(

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

Spiff59,

I just use simple alphanumerics as filenames - why do people have to make it so complicated by using all these other characters? :(

This seems to fix it:

$s##clude_List_Mask = "(?i)^(" & StringReplace(StringReplace(StringRegExpReplace($s##clude_List, "(\^|\$|\.)", "\\$1"), "*", ".*"), "?", ".") & ")\z" ; Convert to SRE pattern

Oh how I love SREs! :idea:

M23

P.S. Actually, despite my moaning, I am very grateful for the input - always something to improve in any code (especially mine!). :)

I still like the one from a year ago :) It is very very similar, and has the ExcludeFolder parameter which can be useful (as in darkjohn20's last post) It also seems to be considerably faster in most cases. Edited by Spiff59

• Moderators

darkjohn20,

My final (at least for the moment! :) ) suggestion:

$s##clude_List_Mask = "(?i)^(" & StringReplace(StringReplace(StringRegExpReplace($s##clude_List, "(\^|\$|\.)", "\\$1"), "?", "."), "*", ".*?") & ")\z" ; Convert to SRE pattern

This gives me the same results as Spiff59's SREs - so it must be pretty good! :)

If you are interested, the 2 patterns come out like this (using "*.exe;*.dll*" as a filter):

Spiff59: (?i)\A(?!.*?[.]exe$|.*?[.]dll.*?$)
Melba23: (?i)^(.*?\.exe|.*?\.dll.*?)\z

They are basically identical:

(?i) - case insensitive

\A or ^ - start at beginning of string

(something|something_else) - use either|or (if you have multiple filters)

.*?[.]exe or .*?\.exe - smallest match of any number of characters followed by .exe

.*?[.]dll.*? or .*?\.dll.*? - smallest match of any number of characters followed by .dll followed by smallest match of any number of characters

$ or \z - end of string (either at end of each option or at the end of the option ()

Where we differ is the use of ?! (a zero-width negative lookahead) at the start of the () section - and there I cannot help because, although I know what it is, I have no idea why it is there! :idea:

; -----

Anyway, I seem to have been ignoring your original request since we got involved in the SRE discussions - my apologies. The dratted things have a sort of morbid fascination which draws you in ever further..... :)

Are you happy with the code now or are there things we could improve? Or would you prefer to use Spiff59's code instead? Please let me know. :(

M23

Spoiler