shell hooking independant of explorer.exe

I'm making a new interface for windows which works fine running with explorer.exe. However I can't make use of Shell Hooking if explorer.exe is not running, which I hope to ultimately not have running. I need shell hooking for my custom made taskbar.

The code I'm using for shell hooking can be found here,

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=56536

Hi again

Two options for you to consider

1) in a continuous loop check the number of windows that exist using winlist or perhaps check processes using processlist. When the number changes a window has been created or destroyed.

2) I have killed my explorer and tested Kafu's Method (last post). It appears to work.

Good luck

Picea892

Edited by picea892

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again

Two options for you to consider

1) in a continuous loop check the number of windows that exist using winlist or perhaps check processes using processlist. When the number changes a window has been created or destroyed.

2) I have killed my explorer and tested Kafu's Method (last post). It appears to work.

Good luck

Picea892

I'm sorry it's taken this long to reply. I had to recreate my program again from scratch. I've now gotten back to the point where this is important.

Anyway, you're first method is viable and also, in my opinion, very clever. The only problem is that there would then be no way way to handle when windows change their titles or when child windows pop up.

The second method, Kafu's Method, maybe viable, only it doesn't specifically say when a window is destroyed or created, but when any gui control or other object is destroyed or created as well.

So I'm at a loss. Not sure what to do. I suppose I'll use your method unless there's something I'm missing about Kafu's method that would make it more usable.