Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Naveed

Folder Permissions

4 posts in this topic

I have searched everywhere for this but cant find an answer maybe i am looking for the wrong thing but let me explain the situtation.

I have folder X (\\server\location1\foldername)

I would like to be able to put that full path into a script and obtain the security groups listed in the security tab for the properties of that folder?

Is this possible, i have tried doing it with autoit and WMI(Win32_LogicalFileSecuritySetting) and vbs(Win32_Directory) but both these methods dont show the security groups.

Can anyone help??

Regards

Nav

#2 ·  Posted (edited)

I couldn't find a way in autoit to do this on my network shares, but I did find this handy tool called DumpSec.

http://www.systemtools.com/somarsoft/index.html

When you install it don't install Hyena (it will ask you), that needs to be purchased but just installing DumpSec is free.

Edited by ShawnW

I have not been able to do this with a UNC name, but have been able to do so by mapping a drive to the server. Something like the snippet below might work for you, if you'll be hitting the same machine often for your queries.

\\Server\Apps mapped to Z:

$var = InputBox( "", "Enter the directory" )
Run(@ComSpec & ' /c CACLS ' & $var & '> C:\CACLS.txt', "", @SW_HIDE)

This unfortunately gives you everything, both groups and individuals, but it may be a place to start...

√-1 2^3 ∑ π, and it was delicious!

I have not been able to do this with a UNC name, but have been able to do so by mapping a drive to the server. Something like the snippet below might work for you, if you'll be hitting the same machine often for your queries.

\\Server\Apps mapped to Z:

$var = InputBox( "", "Enter the directory" )
Run(@ComSpec & ' /c CACLS ' & $var & '> C:\CACLS.txt', "", @SW_HIDE)

This unfortunately gives you everything, both groups and individuals, but it may be a place to start...

That is brilliant, Thanks for that, that actually did the trick, after getting the list of all the groups i was able to isolate just the security groups.

I had to map to the folder first and recycle the drive letter on each new request.

DriveMapDel("X:")
$var = GUICtrlRead($path)
DriveMapAdd("X:", $var)
Sleep(2000)
Run(@ComSpec & ' /c CACLS ' & "x:" & '> C:\CACLS.txt', "", @SW_HIDE)