Noob : Can I control an application through its GUI?

I've just learnt about AutoIt, sounded fabulous, but now I'm wondering if I got the wrong end of the stick!

I'm wanting to script a graphics application that has no scripting functions, to batch process a load of animation frames to composite and blend them. I thought from an article I read that AutoIt would enable an application to be controlled through its GUI, which I guess meant simulating mouse-clicks in screen-zones or something. Reading briefly through the documentation, it seemed to me that the GUI aspect is about creating a GUI for scripts, and not controlling an application.

So is this possible?! My graphics app (PSP 7) dosen't have keyboard shortcuts for changing a layer's blend mode and I could only do this by automating mouse clicks on GUI controls.

Just want to say it's working brilliantly and I've recommended AutoIt to a couple of developer mates! I'm amazed this app isn't more well-known as the flexibility is superb. Prior to finding this I was thinking back to AREXX on the Amiga and how a universal scripting interface is so useful. AutoIt is even better as it isn't dependent on scripting ports. As I was suggesting to a friend, for off-site testing this is perfect, as instead of requiring users to follow instructions which they won't do because 'they know best,' you can supply an executable to perform exactly the required input and get exactly the right output for problem solving.

Plus it's well documented unlike most freeware apps, and it has a useful, supportive community unlike most freeware apps! (Am I sounding too cynical yet? :))

If I ever make any money, I'll be sure to support AutoIt financially as well as by word of mouth. ;)

Edited by ShiftyGeezer