Using much memory

:(  I created a program with 136 KBytes (file.exe) that is resident in memory and same using few variables it is occupying 4280  KBytes of memory.  Why it will be?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

AFAIK this is a limitation of Autoit. :(
HKTunes:Softpedia | GoogleCodeLyricToy:Softpedia | GoogleCodeRCTunes:Softpedia | GoogleCodeMichtaToolsProgrammer n. - An ingenious device that turns caffeine into code.

:(  I created a program with 136 KBytes (file.exe) that is resident in memory and same using few variables it is occupying 4280  KBytes of memory.  Why it will be?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The 136k bytes is the size of the program on the disk which is compressed. But as soon it is loaded in memory more things happen to have it in execution. The decompression first and all memory to have the program running which are allocated when the program start.

So as AutoIt need to have a lot of Windows Function working extra memory are needed.

It does not surprised me that 4280 will be allocated to have a script running.

The 136k bytes is the size of the program on the disk which is compressed. But as soon it is loaded in memory more things happen to have it in execution. The decompression first and all memory to have the program running which are allocated when the program start.

So as AutoIt need to have a lot of Windows Function working extra memory are needed.

It does not surprised me that 4280 will be allocated to have a script running.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks !

ive noticed though that if you minimize the program and then maximize it

the memory usage is lower.i put this in my code just for this plus it gives it

a nice effect when you open the program.Try it.Whether its the right thing

to do i dont know but it does reduce the memory usage.

GUISetState(@SW_SHOWMINIMIZED)
Sleep(1000)
GUISetState()
Edited by therion

ive noticed though that if you minimize the program and then maximize it

the memory usage is lower.i put this in my code just for this plus it gives it

a nice effect when you open the program.Try it.Whether its the right thing

to do i dont know but it does reduce the memory usage.

GUISetState(@SW_SHOWMINIMIZED)
Sleep(1000)
GUISetState()

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Strange the memory if needed should be allocated to at least a program. I will vote for Windows bad reporting of the allocated memory.

Strange the memory if needed should be allocated to at least a program. I will vote for Windows bad reporting of the allocated memory.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its not bad reporting, its Window's behavior. When a GUI is minimized in Window's, the OS internally calls SetProcessWorkingSetSize(). This trims currently unused memory pages. When restoring the GUI, some new pages are added but there will usually be a decrease in the total compared to before the minimize. Its possible to manually call SetProcessWorkingSetSize() to trim memory at any point.

With that said, to those who think AutoIt is using a lot of memory... well, don't ever open IE, Firefox, Photoshop, Visual Studio, VMware, or about a million other pieces of software which use massive amounts of memory (dozens of MB at least).

With that said, to those who think AutoIt is using a lot of memory... well, don't ever open IE, Firefox, Photoshop, Visual Studio, VMware, or about a million other pieces of software which use massive amounts of memory (dozens of MB at least).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

See attached screenshot for a perfect example. Firefox has 5 open web pages and is using a whopping 32 MB of memory. Not shown is Winamp, using 14 MB, Paperless Inventory (a work function we use here, developed in house with VB 6.0) weighs in rather heavy too. That all said, the top five (on my system) are:

1. Firefox @ 32

2. Rtvscan @ 22

3. IE @ 19

4. MAINRDW @ 16

5. Winamp @ 16 (combined Winamp @ 14 and the Winamp agent @ 2)

YMMV

Lofting the cyberwinds on teknoleather wings, I am...The Blue Drache