WSUS / Symantec endpoint server

myk3

I am trying to create a script to poll from 2 separate databases.. One is a WSUS server (file type is .db)and the second is Symantec endpoint server. I currently have a .xls file that pulls from these servers, but i need to uninstall excel from these servers and need a way to pull the info from them still.. I am under the impression that the "built in" database for WSUS does not allow for remote connections. nay advice would help tremendously.

Mike

myk3,

Hey... one Mike has to help another. Some general suggesions follow.

As you will often see here... what is it that you actually want to do? If you are trying to see if workstations are up to date SEP and MS updates wise, it may be possible to do it another way. Or are you trying to determine if the WSUS and SEP servers are up to date?

If the WSUS doesn't allow remote connections then run a script on it directly and put the results somewhere that your main script can read it.

4Eyes

Edited by 4Eyes

Currently the .xls SQL statements we have pull information from he two server such as how many users have connected within the last 30 days, virus alerts, etc..

Is there any good tutorials on how to make an ODBC connection?

Mike

Well I have just finished the code.. Everything looks and works well.. here it is for anyone who is interested..

#include <date.au3> ;include the prebuilt date / time functions into the script
if FileExists(@WorkingDir &"\Output\") = 0 then ;Check to see if "ouput" dir is available if not create it
DirCreate(@WorkingDir &"\Output\")
endif 
If FileExists(@WorkingDir &"\Output\*.csv") Then ;Check to see if there are any "CSV" files in the "Output" dir.. if so delete them
FileDelete(@WorkingDir &"\Output\*.csv")
endif
_query("AV A","D434956B8F51FF1501B0D990699E33DA") ;Call functions and pass parameters to pass to the function 1st is $CSV 2nd is $DBGroupID
_query("AV B","34EFBA208F51FF150062DE7B22BFE412")
_query("AV V","108D72528F51FF15005E305FEF5DB2AF")
_query("AV I","28C2AC218F51FF1500CC823746BE4E5E")
_query("AV Unknown","1F9C4E678F51FF1501CB4A6A5C6BC2DC")
exit ;exit the script
Func _query($CSV, $DBGroupID) ;function to query database and output findings to a csv file.
$conn = ObjCreate("ADODB.Connection") ;create ADODB connection
$DSN ="SymantecEndpointSecurityDSN" ;ODBC connection driver found in Windows ODBC connections
$conn.open($DSN) ;open the connection with the driver
$rs = ObjCreate("ADODB.RecordSet") ;create a record set to store the query results in
$sql = ("SQL STATEMENT HERE")
;^ SQL statement to be used later in the function
$rs.open($sql, $conn) ;Query the open connection with the SQL statement
$file = fileopen (@WorkingDir &"\Output\" & $CSV &".csv",2) ;create a file in the working dir \output and save it to a CSV file for later editing in Excel
FileWriteLine($file,"As of "&_NowDate()&"  "& _NowTime(4)) ;add the current date / time to the first line of the CSV file
        if $rs.eof Then ;test to see if there is no data in the record set if it is empty write "no data..." to 2nd line of CSV
            FileWriteLine($file,"No Data at This Time")
        Else
        Do ;if the recordset does have data do the next items
        FileWriteline($file, $rs.fields("Host Name").value & "," & $rs.fields("Workgroup").value & ","  & $rs.fields("Last Logged On User").value & ","  & $rs.fields("Location").value)
        ;^ write data from recordset into the CSV file based on the SQL query
        $rs.MoveNext ;move to the next record in the recordset
        until $rs.eof ;continue the DO loop until all records are sent to the CSV
        FileClose($file) ;close the open CSV file
        EndIf ;end the if statement
$rs.close ;cclose the current recordset
$conn.close ;close the current connection
EndFunc ;end function