boot up time on remote pc

gcue

Hello.

Can any of you think of a way to see how long it took for a PC to be booted up completely? Im trying to avoid writing anything to the machine to time it. Is there anything in windows/bios I can look at?

Thanks.

lol

I don't think so. During the boot process, you can't run any program to monitor. At least you can't in Autoit. Just set the expect duration to 5 minutes, you'll be sure it will be booted completely.

Edited by trung0407

Okay, but from my experience, during the loading of BIOS stuffs, there is no way you can calculate the duration of BIOS loading. After the loading of BIOS is the loading of Windows (or a OS)

Windows is itself a program. So to do it, you must set the program to calculate the boot time as the first program to launch.

This require knowledge about creating a boot loader. You can start by writing the time you begin to boot windows to a file. Then after windows is completely loaded, record the end time.

Another method is to record the time you shutdown your machine, then after the boot of windows, you can record again when it's fully loaded.

Edited by trung0407

What I would do is the following:

1- Set a trigger that will boot up the PC on demand, this is normally in the BIOS using the WAKE On LAN feature (if any)

2- Set a small script that will launch and start sending UDP brodcasts the minute the machine is fully booted.

Then all you need to do is trigger the WAKE-ON-LAN from another computer, start a timer and wait for these broadcast messages.

You could also try starting the timer until a ping is received from the host.

Edited by rbhkamal

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace"-Jimi Hendrix