Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rnxsw

Question about AutoIt

2 posts in this topic

Idea:

A script that will actively identify new posts being made on a specific forum thread, locate and click the link in said new post (9 times out of 10 the new post will contain only a link), click a link on the new page that will open, close that page and then wait for a new post to be made. Repeat.

Question:

Is this something that AutoIt scripting is capable of?

If so, where would be a good place to start learning to script these functions? It seems simple enough... though I have never delved into the realm of actually scripting, I have used many AutoIt scripts that look a lot more complicated then what I'd like to accomplish.

No, it is not possible for you to do this if you are not willing to learn things that currently look difficult to you. Moreover, nothing ELSE would be possible for you for the same reason.

If you decide you are willing to learn new things, try out the basic tutorials in the help file, and the example scripts there under any functions you are curious about. You might also try the more extensive AutoIt 1-2-3 tutorial linked in my sig. These will give you the basics.

When you are ready to go from basic AutoIt scripting to browser automation, start trying out the _IE* functions of the IE.au3 UDF by playing with the example scripts for them. That will lead you into learning how a browser really works and how to use the IE Document Object Model (DOM).

By the time you get to that point you will have learned a lot, including the fact that you can learn a lot.

;)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law