[Question] Renaming an .exe ?

OK! Hi guys.. I'm really new to AutoIt. I just downloaded it and play around for a few hours. "I DID" search google and read up some tutorials but for this i don't know what should i put as a keyword to find my answer. So i hope posting this question in here will help me out.

This is my script so far ( lol )

WinWaitActive("eco")

HotKeySet("{END}", "close")

While 1
    Sleep(1000)
    Send("{F1}")
    WEnd

My purpose is this:

= To let it keep 'reapeating' by pressing "F1" every 1 secs. --> yes it work !

However, my problem is this:

= This program ( eco.exe ) , i needed it to be open at least 2 or more (multi-client). When i changed from my original.exe to another .exe... the F1 also follow... and it follows everywhere (to IE, firefox, etc.) and i don't want that to happen!

What I want to ask and need help is = is there a way for me to rename the process like e.g. eco1 / eco2/ eco3 so i can basically choose the ".exe" that i want the F1 to repeat itself, but not others?

and one last question.. the code HotKeySet("{END}", "close")doesn't work for me. What i want is just pressing 'hotkeys' and the script pause (not exit)

Thank you ! : )

Hello cheez13ii,

First, Welcome to the AutoIt Forums :graduated:

You really don't need to change the process name in order to achieve what you ask. Just change the Window title which can easily be done with WinSetTitle(). Second, HotKeySet() does not do the action you ask. Rather it assigns a hotkey that will call a custom function within your script. So in your example when the hotkey is being pressed it attempts to look for a function called 'close'. I added this function to your script. I made a few other changes to your script, and commented behind the changes to help you understand what I did.

WinSetTitle('eco','','My New Title') ;changes the window title 'eco' to 'My New Title

HotKeySet("{END}", "close") ;need to write the function 'close', which it attempts to call.

While 1
    Sleep(1000)
    _WinWaitActivate('My New Title') ;this calls my handy little function that I provided below
    Send("{F1}")
WEnd

Func close() ;note how the title of this function is the same as the the title the hotkeyset calls for
    Exit 
EndFunc

Func _WinWaitActivate($title,$text="",$timeout=0) ;I use this function for activating windows, it is a little more handy.
    WinWait($title,$text,$timeout) ;waits till window process is present
    If Not WinActive($title,$text) Then WinActivate($title,$text) ;If the window is not active, it will activate it
    WinWaitActive($title,$text,$timeout) ;waits until window is active and in focus
    Return WinGetHandle($title,$text) ;if you find a need for the window handle, this function will return the handle.
EndFunc

Or if you want to rename all the windows but only use F1 on one process then you could do something like this:

HotKeySet("{END}", "close") ;need to write the function 'close', which it attempts to call.

Local $instances_to_run = 3

For $i = 1 To $instances_to_run
    Run('eco.exe')
    _WinWaitActivate('eco')
    WinSetTitle('eco','','eco' & $i)    ;changes the window title 'eco' to 'My New Title
Next

While 1
    Sleep(1000)
    _WinWaitActivate('eco2') ;this calls my handy little function that I provided below
    Send("{F1}")
WEnd

Func close() ;note how the title of this function is the same as the the title the hotkeyset calls for
    Exit 
EndFunc

Func _WinWaitActivate($title,$text="",$timeout=0) ;I use this function for activating windows, it is a little more handy.
    WinWait($title,$text,$timeout) ;waits till window process is present
    If Not WinActive($title,$text) Then WinActivate($title,$text) ;If the window is not active, it will activate it
    WinWaitActive($title,$text,$timeout) ;waits until window is active and in focus
    Return WinGetHandle($title,$text) ;if you find a need for the window handle, this function will return the handle.EndFuncc
However, this will attempt to focus, or check to make sure the focus of the window is present every second, so attempting to use your pc while this script is running, while be a challenge, or in otherwords impossible since it utilizes your keyboard. If you are planning on using your pc while this script runs, you may want to look into some Control Funtions such as ControlSend() which does not utilize your keyboard or mouse, allowing you to simultaneously work on the same pc.

Good Luck

Realm

Edited by Realm

My Contributions: Unix Timestamp: Calculate Unix time, or seconds since Epoch, accounting for your local timezone and daylight savings time. RegEdit Jumper: A Small & Simple interface based on Yashied's Reg Jumper Function, for searching Hives in your registry. 

Thanks a lot Realm, look forward to examine the new script XD. Now i understand about creating my own "close function" within the scripts so that when i recall the

hotkeys, it close for me. Would you mind if i ask some more questions? Well what i stated up there is that basically when i run my 1st script (that i posted up there), when

i change to firefox (i was using it + searching some information on google on the same time) F1 is the key to create "new tab" on firefox. Basically, tons of new tab

come up. lol. What u say on the last bit of paragraph, you mean that if i still use that script and open some other process, the "F1" will keep going and the way to fix it

is to look into some Control Functions right?

And yeah, i got this renaming process from another person that made a script using Autoit program (he have a GUI interface too). What his script does, no matter how much

"eco.exe" are open, let say five. Theres like a drop box and once u click, in drop and list all five of them:

eco.exe /11F001234 << with some weirdo number over here, hex number i guess?

eco.exe /11F034392

eco.exe /11)349304

eco.exe blah bah

eco.exe blah blah

and once it drop i just need to pick one of them, then right beside the drop box, it have this button saying "change name". Once I changed it, all the name change to like:

eco1.exe

eco2.exe

and so on

PS. to remind again, this is on AutoIT.

Now, i think that i need to learn more on using GUI, cause this seem complicate and i'm really bad at math and learning XD (math is complicate, i bomb my exam :graduated:) .

anyway, thank you for reading and answering this again

cheez13ii,

What I meant on about running the script, is that every second it will bring the specific window back into focus, and trying to work with other windows or applications is useless. However you should have said your working with web browsers in the first place. That brings other solutions to the front. Instead you should look into the UDF IE.au3, it is well documented in the help file. I generall build my own web browser with _IECreateEmbedded(), and using _IENavigate() to flip directly to specific pages or using _IEClickByText() to click on links. pulling Table info with _IETableGetCollection(). You can manipulate forms and other elements of websites with many of the functions. There is also a UDF for Firefox in the Example section of this Forum. Personally I prefer using the IE.au3 UDF.

You only need strong math skills if you are planning on writing complex algorithms.

If you have any other questions feel free to post them :graduated:

Realm

My Contributions: Unix Timestamp: Calculate Unix time, or seconds since Epoch, accounting for your local timezone and daylight savings time. RegEdit Jumper: A Small & Simple interface based on Yashied's Reg Jumper Function, for searching Hives in your registry. 

• 2 months later...