Control a non-native GUI?

cag8f

I'm relatively new to Autoit. As I understand, I can use Autoit to create a new window, complete with tabs, radio buttons, drop down menus, etc. But can I use Autoit to control a pre-existing application that has its own GUI (it's own tabs, radio buttons, drop down menus, etc.)? I know I can explicitly move the mouse around the GUI and simulate keystrokes, but is there a more elegant/efficient way of accomplishing this? I nosed around the forums and Google but couldn't find anything. I'm not looking for someone to necessarily hold my hand throughout the process, but if this can be done, I'll just need a nudge in the right direction; perhaps a tutorial or sticky post.

Hello cag8f,

You forgot to check one of the most important tools....the 'Help File'.

With very little information on what it is that you want to automate, its just as difficult to tell you the tools to do it with.

Some Questions & Answer for the basics:

Q: Can I automate Internet Explorer?

A: Yes, There is a wonderful IE library that can be found in the 'User Defined Functions Reference' of the Help File called 'IE Management' and is bundle in your includes folder named 'IE.au3'

Q: Can i automate a Windows Application?

A: Mostly Yes. Most Basic Windows Applications can be automated with many of the fabulous 'Control' Functions allowing automation to be done in the background or minimized, in most cases. However there are some Windows Applications that resist Control Automation, and even some Applications that Mask their controls. In those rare cases, You are limited to basic MouseClick and other functions that take control of your mouse and keyboard commands, Unless of coarse it is resisting the automation.

Some Funtions for these purposes are:

ControlCommand()

ControlClick()

ControlSend() ...and many more!

You may find another tool called 'AutoIt Window Info' also labeled 'Au3Info.exe' in the AutoIt directory. The 'AutoIt Window Info' tool will allow you to minimally snoop in on windows to find, Controls and their ID's, Window Text, both Hidden and Visible, which are valuable and needed aspects for automating Windows Applications. The 'AutoIt Window Info' tool also has many other great aspects that assist in developement as well.

Realm

My Contributions: Unix Timestamp: Calculate Unix time, or seconds since Epoch, accounting for your local timezone and daylight savings time. RegEdit Jumper: A Small & Simple interface based on Yashied's Reg Jumper Function, for searching Hives in your registry. 

I did look through the help file but was searching for GUI control and the like.

As a Beginner, the Help File can was slightly confusing to me as well. After a while I had learn to use the 'Search' tab in the Help File and generally keywords like 'control' will list most or all of the documents containing control uses.

Thanks!

My Pleasure, I had the time.

Edit: Typo

Edited by Realm

My Contributions: Unix Timestamp: Calculate Unix time, or seconds since Epoch, accounting for your local timezone and daylight savings time. RegEdit Jumper: A Small & Simple interface based on Yashied's Reg Jumper Function, for searching Hives in your registry.