AutoIt, Typeless or Dynamic typed.(?)

MvGulik

Technical speaking. Is AutoIt a typeless language of Dynamic typed language?

(I'm leaning/thinking "Dynamic typed")

"Straight_and_Crooked_Thinking" : A "classic guide to ferreting out untruths, half-truths, and other distortions of facts in political and social discussions."
"The Secrets of Quantum Physics" : New and excellent 2 part documentary on Quantum Physics by Jim Al-Khalili. (Dec 2014)

"Believing what you know ain't so" ...

Knock Knock ...

Both. You'll notice that there are types, but we don't know about them (or at least, don't really worry about them too much) so in that regards it is typeless. Any typeless language must also be dynamic, or else the fact that it's typeless would be useless, and might as well be checked at compile time anyway.

I was a little bit confused with what you meant by "typeless", especially because you put it opposed of dynamic typing. Because to me, the opposite of dynamic typing is static typing. So here are the definitions of typeless I found:

MSDN says: Typeless is "implicit declaration". Therefore meaning: A language is typeless if you can use a variable before you declare it (whether it be with or without declaring the variable type).

Answers.com 2 (fail source) says: Typeless is a language without types: Variant type (weak typing).

This wiki page has a list of programming paradigms: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programming_paradigm

Have fun.

I was a little bit confused with what you meant by "typeless", especially because you put it opposed of dynamic typing. Because to me, the opposite of dynamic typing is static typing. So here are the definitions of typeless I found:

<snip>

Have fun.

I'm not well versed on many of the different technical terms. But my view in this matter was mainly based on this text. (See I might have swallowed/overlook some details in my question.)

There is a distinction between "typeless" variables and "dynamically typed". DynamicTyping values generally carry a "hidden" type indicator with them. This type indicator offers hints to the interpreter about how to interpret the value if there are potentially multiple interpretations. Typeless depends purely on context and never on any hidden or unseen type "flag".

Fingers crossed. :x

Edited by MvGulik

"Straight_and_Crooked_Thinking" : A "classic guide to ferreting out untruths, half-truths, and other distortions of facts in political and social discussions."
"The Secrets of Quantum Physics" : New and excellent 2 part documentary on Quantum Physics by Jim Al-Khalili. (Dec 2014)

"Believing what you know ain't so" ...

Knock Knock ...

I think that's quite a misuse of terminology. Avoid using the term "typeless" from now on, and when in doubt -> google it. I do. :x

To answer your question. Yes, AutoIt uses a flag behind the scene. You can check out the source code of the AutoIt variant type. If you download source (available on developers forum) open up vector_datatype.cpp and you'll see it's based on a hidden flag (m_nVarType) and several variables that contain values for the different types: m_nValue (int), m_n64Value, m_fValue (float), m_szValue (string), etc.

Edited by Manadar