Trouble re-setting Working Directory after FileOpenDialog

gsbaker

In the script segment below (which includes lots of MsgBox to see what is going on) I am trying to reset the working directory after successfully returning the results of a FileOpenDialog.

Case $msg = $button5                            ; Select Index background image
    $setMsg = MsgBox(0,"Test","ScriptDir = " & @ScriptDir & @CRLF & "Working Directory = " & @WorkingDir)
    FileChangeDir(@ScriptDir & "\Resources")
    $select_file = FileOpenDialog("Select Index background image from THIS FOLDER ONLY!", @ScriptDir & "\Resources", "(*.jpg;*.png;*.gif)")
    If $select_file <> "" Then
        $filelength = (@ScriptDir & "\Resources\")
        $scriptlen = StringLen($filelength)
        $filerel = StringTrimLeft($select_file,$scriptlen)
        GUICtrlSetData($Input[70], $filerel)
    EndIf
    $setMsg = MsgBox(0,"Test","ScriptDir = " & @ScriptDir & @CRLF & "Working Directory = " & @WorkingDir)
    FileChangeDir(@ScriptDir)

While the last FileChangeDir statement seems to change the working directory back to where I want it, it does NOT change it for the next time I use FileOpenDialog - which starts in the same place as the directory from the last successful FileOpenDialog. For some reason it is not re-setting the "init dir" parameter, but is using the previous results.

Am I missing something?

Now can I get the FileOpenDialog to start in a specific directory (@ScriptDir) each time, and not pick up the directory from the previous result?

Thanks for your assistance.

• Moderators

gsbaker,

I cannot help with your specific problem - it looks as if it should work to me. ;)

However, I found the seemingly random behaviour of the FileOpenDialog dialog so annoying that I actually wrote my own UDF to do what I wanted and not what Windows thought I might want. :idiot:

Take a look at the ChooseFileFolder UDF in my sig. If you really want to limit the user to selecting files from a single folder the UDF will let you do just that - it was one of the things about the FileOpenDialog dialog that annoyed me the most! :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Thanks M23. I will have a look. Stupid question? Where should I "unzip" these to?

Also, it looks like this also changes the working directory. Is that correct? Check that - it appears to NOT change the working directory :)

Edited by gsbaker

• Moderators

gsbaker,

I would suggest you unzip them into a folder where you normally create your scripts - they all need to be together for the example to work. ;)

If you decide to use them in other scripts then you will need to put the include files (everything except the example) somewhere where AutoIt can find them. I would not suggest putting them in with the AutoIt includes - for a start Vista/Win7 do not like you putting things into the "Program Files" folder!

But you can set specific folders that AutoIt will search for #include files as well as the standard "C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\Include" - from the Help file:

"There is a special registry value that can be created at "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AutoIt v3\AutoIt" called "Include". It should be a REG_SZ (string) value. The contents of this value are a semi-colon delimited list of directories that should be searched for files when resolving #include's in addition to the standard locations."

If you have the full SciTE4AutoIt3 editor, you can also set this folder in SciTEConfig - look in the <Tools> menu.

So you can put all your downloaded includes into a folder away from "Program Files" - and they will not be overwritten when you next update! And you can call them using the same syntax as the standard include files. :)

this also changes the working directory. Is that correct?

No - it makes no changes to anything at all. It just returns the selected file(s)/folder(s) in a "|" delimited string. :idiot:

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area