Selecting and Copying Text

Hi,

Newbie here. (Sorry about that!) I'm trying to copy text in a window that I have open.

I figured out how to:

Make the window be my active window

search for the occurrence of the text I want

but I'm having trouble figuring out how to highlight the text so that I can send a control C. I tried using the mouseclickdrag function, but it sees my mouse as being in my Windows folder where I just double-clicked the script to run, not in the active window that contains the text.

So how do I grab the text from the window? Do I have to move my mouse to the active window (if so how?) or is there another way to highlight text without moving my mouse there?

TIA,

Susie

So...just to make sure I get the basic concept...

I have an email that has a bunch of text in it, and then:

Name: John Doe

I'm trying to copy 'John Doe' to the clipboard.

So I thought I had to maneuver to the beginning of John by using Find, etc. and then somehow copy it. But it looks like the Win or Control GetText functions will give me the text of the entire window.

So are you saying that the way to do it is to grab all the text of the window and then somehow get John Doe out of it? If so, how do I parse through the text? I assume I save it to a variable first.

Or is there a different way I should be doing this?

Thanks, Susie

Hi,

Ok, the first part is working. I have all the data I want stored into variables.

So now I'm trying to paste into forms on a web page. I can't quite get it to work. First of all, when I use AutoIt Window Info it shows me that all of the input fields on the web page have the same control id. The only thing that varies are the x y coordinates.

So I tried

ControlFocus("window title", "", "[X:597;Y:240]")

Send ($firstname)

The problem is that the first line does not put my cursor in the input field I want. Instead my cursor is wherever it happened to be the last time I clicked on the fields of the window. If I clicked on the last field and then ran the script, it puts the text in the last field. (The coordinates are for the first field).

Any advice? I'm pretty close to getting it working, I think. Just don't know the correct procedure for pasting into a form.

Thanks,

Susie

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using Firefox.

I noticed that when I click in the form that already has text in it, AutoIt Window Info shows nothing as visible text. But if I use ControlSetText to put "blah" in there, "blah" shows as visible text in the window info, but it doesn't match what I see on my screen.

Weird.

Thanks.

I just poked around with IE. That works; was able to read the values and set the values.

So if I can't get Firefox to work, at least I have something to fall back on.

I also think that my Roboform browser plugin was adding extra complexity so I disabled it temporarily.

Thanks!

--Susie