Simple Start/Stop Script

Hello - I currently have a couple of batch scripts which rely on a couple of utilities - I would like to see if AutoIt can solve my problems for me, and I am looking for some guidance.

My "start" script is as follows:

echo Starting <program name here>...
net start "<servicename>" /yes
start /wait "" "c:\Sleep.exe" 15
echo <program name here> started successfully
Start "" "C:\<programnamehere>.exe"

You can see I need a "pause" to ensure the service is running because executing the .exe file. I do not want ANY user input - no waiting for a keypress in either START or STOP - the messages I have there were for my own testing.

My "STOP" script is as follows:

echo Stopping <program name here>
Start c:\pskill.exe "<program name here>.exe"
net stop "<servicename>" /yes
echo <program name here> stopped successfully

You can see I need a "kill" script to hunt down the application window and kill it before stopping the service.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Edited by P00n

Hello P00n,

you can use Run() to run DOS commands or programs. There's a service UDF somewhere in the forum you can use to start and stop services pretty easily. Use a Sleep() command to pause a script.

ProcessClose() will end a process. It's all there, just go ahead and start coding!

:unsure:

Regards,Hannes[spoiler]If you can't convince them, confuse them![/spoiler]

Hello P00n,

you can use Run() to run DOS commands or programs. There's a service UDF somewhere in the forum you can use to start and stop services pretty easily. Use a Sleep() command to pause a script.

ProcessClose() will end a process. It's all there, just go ahead and start coding!

Okay - thanks. Is there anything built in to AutoIt to do the

net start/stop "service name"
command or is this what I need another script for?

Thanks!

Edited by P00n

Hi p00n,

you can do this in more than one way. Either use Run() to run your net stop/start or sc commands, or include the UDF from engine:

With the second way you don't need to check external command calls.

Hi p00n,

you can do this in more than one way. Either use Run() to run your net stop/start or sc commands, or include the UDF from engine:

With the second way you don't need to check external command calls.

Thanks for the help. In case anyone else finds this useful I figured out how to do it without any addition scripts:

Start Script

Run(@ComSpec & " /c " &"net start ""ApplicationName 9999.2"" /yes" )
Sleep(15000)
Run("c:\<path to application>.exe")

Notes: The @ComSpec /c allows you to run a command as a command line function. Please not the spaces before AND after the /c in quotes! Also - because my service name has spaces I had to double quote it - notice the ""

Stop Script

ProcessClose("<name of application>.exe")
Run(@ComSpec & " /c " & "net stop ""ApplicationName 9999.2"" /yes" )

Notes: Same as above - be mindful of the spaces around /c and watch the ""

The service that I start is VERY large - 300mb or so. I would "like" to have the script "know" when this service is "fully loaded" - is this possible even with the UDF link you sent?

You can use "sc query <servicename>" and process the output to determine whether a service is already running.

I'm not sure whether "sc query" is better to use than "net start" or vice-versa.

SC is better when you want to stop/start/query services on remote machines. Also sc can query the state of a service. But it won't give you an errorcode upon failure.