@error - Clarification question

The @error code is only valid until the next function is called

I need to know precisely what 'valid' means.

If @error must be inspected after a function call, is it then good practice to call SetError(0) before the call ?

If I understand correctly, a function may set @error:

AFunction()
AnotherFunction()

func AFunction()
   SetError(42)
endfunc

func AnotherFunction()
endfunc

What will happen if @error is referenced after these 2 function calls? Does @error contain the value 42? Or is it invalid in another sense?

Disclaimer: Yes, I tried both RTFM & forum search, but got no wiser. And of course I could experiment :) , however I think this issue ought to be clarified in the helpfile.

Ignorance is strength.

Disclaimer: Yes, I tried both RTFM & forum search, but got no wiser. And of course I could experiment :) , however I think this issue ought to be clarified in the helpfile.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The help file is clear and it state's exactly what should happen. Please be able to support your above qoute next time by actually reading the help file :evil:.

From the help file... > SetError ()

When entering a function @error is set to 0. Unless SetError() is called, then @error will remain 0 after the function has ended. This means that in order for @error to be set after a function, it must be explicitly set. This also means you may need to backup the status of @error in a variable if you are testing it in a While-WEnd loop.

Edited by Burrup

qq

When entering a function @error is set to 0

Thanks, exactly what I needed to know.

Please be able to support your above qoute next time by actually reading the help file :).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The helpfile I read came with the v3.1.1 AutoIt installation. In the future, I'll make sure to check both the released & the latest beta version of the helpfile. Then, if there are differences, I might ask on the forums whether the helpfile changes are clarifications or reflect actual changes between the release and the beta versions of AutoIt.

Ignorance is strength.