ImageSearch - ticket closed why?

Zedna

It's not a good idea to use posted code. None of us feel like writing our own. We don't view it as a critical feature since it can be done via DLL.

Keep in mind that we are under no obligation to explain to anyone outside the development team why a ticket is closed.

No, this wasn't a personal thing. it was her call within the parameters I set forth for resolving the ticket either way.

We don't view it as a critical feature since it can be done via DLL.

I saw similar statement that features which can be done as UDF will not be added too.

In that case nothing will be added because all can be done by external DLL/UDF (by using internal DllCall).

That's sad to hear such explanation for me :-(

especialy when there are problems to get right ImageSearch DLL - everybody isn't familiar in C++ to get it themself.

That's why Autoit is here --> to be powerful tool for many (also not C++ experienced) people.

Keep in mind that we are under no obligation to explain to anyone outside the development team why a ticket is closed.

Yes I know.

I can understand when silly tickets created by newbees are rejected without any answer.

But as I can see from history of rejected reasonable tickets (mostly by Valik) there is everytime good explanation

which is also good for future potential ticket creators to learn what to do/don't do in future (on Trac).

This my ticket (ImageSearch) was reasonable one, that's why I expected some explanation in case of rejection.

especialy when there are problems to get right ImageSearch DLL - everybody isn't familiar in C++ to get it themself.

That's why Autoit is here --> to be powerful tool for many (also not C++ experienced) people.

Not at all! Forget about personal quarrels for a moment and think about how this works.

The people who author the C++ libraries also often write the AutoIt libraries which lets you call to the C++ libraries without having knowledge of the DLL at all. On top of that, there is no need to know any C++ before you can use libraries written in C++. DLL technology is not related to C++, it's the other way around.

If the community has a need for functionality which is impossible for AutoIt to provide, then the community will also fill that need. So many are experienced with C++ and it's trivial to make a dll if you do not already know how. The best example here is that the image search library, which you were talking about, was made in 2005 :D.

I personally think the biggest benefit is that the community doesn't have to rely on the developers for new features anymore. You know that AutoIt development can sometimes stall and sometimes it speeds up. When there is a need for new functionality, it is in the communities best interest that someone does it who has plenty of free time. If you put everything on the developers, they waste their time on trivial functions when they could have been working on new language features or overhauls (like in the case of COM recently).

Now more concrete..

In the thread about the existing image search library I have been looking for a post written by you. I want to see why you think the current implementation is bad. The only post I find is the one by you in 2008 where you ask for the ability to GetDC on a provided window handle instead of fixed 0. I'm sure it is trivial for any programmer, even without C++ knowledge, to make that change and recompile the DLL.

The people who author the C++ libraries also often write the AutoIt libraries which lets you call to the C++ libraries without having knowledge of the DLL at all. On top of that, there is no need to know any C++ before you can use libraries written in C++. DLL technology is not related to C++, it's the other way around.

I didn't meant lack of UDF wrappers or DllCall() examples for use of DLL I meant the fact that original (ImageSearch) DLL doesn't work on new Autoit/Windows and there are probably 3 DLL clones and people reported also new ones doesn't work. If you need working solution, you must go through whole topic (lots of posts), download/test all clones/binaries to see which one works.

So it's difficult for somebody not C++ skilled to get original DLL sources and look into it, fix problems and recompile new fixed DLL file.

In the thread about the existing image search library I have been looking for a post written by you. I want to see why you think the current implementation is bad. The only post I find is the one by you in 2008 where you ask for the ability to GetDC on a provided window handle instead of fixed 0. I'm sure it is trivial for any programmer, even without C++ knowledge, to make that change and recompile the DLL.

It was only my idea and I'm not sure if it would work by this way.

I personally don't have installed VC studio and I don't do C++ programming so for me it's not possible to do.

I didn't meant lack of UDF wrappers or DllCall() examples for use of DLL I meant the fact that original (ImageSearch) DLL doesn't work on new Autoit/Windows and there are probably 3 DLL clones and people reported also new ones doesn't work. If you need working solution, you must go through whole topic (lots of posts), download/test all clones/binaries to see which one works.

So it's difficult for somebody not C++ skilled to get original DLL sources and look into it, fix problems and recompile new fixed DLL file.

So the code is fine, but it's an organisation problem? Then it seems strange to solve that with more code, it's like a technical solution to organisation problem. ; )

I propose, that you can create a new topic with an up-to-date image search library. It seems like, about this library, you are the most knowledgeable MVP. You can keep the AutoIt and the documentation up to date. When you have problems with the C++, you can ask in the MVP forum for help.

I propose, that you can create a new topic with an up-to-date image search library. It seems like, about this library, you are the most knowledgeable MVP. You can keep the AutoIt and the documentation up to date. When you have problems with the C++, you can ask in the MVP forum for help.

Good idea!

Unfortunately these days/weeks/... I have no time for bigger projects I completely stopped also my personal projects so I will do it later.

Thanks for good tip.

• 2 years later...

Now when trancexx and Valik are no longer AutoIt's developers

I reopen this topic and ask

if adding ImageSearch functionality into AutoIt will not be good idea for current AutoIt developers ...

http://www.autoitscript.com/trac/autoit/ticket/269#comment:6

Edited by Zedna