Scite4AutoIt3 - Is it possible to customise Autocomplete

Bowmore

In an effort to try and make Scite4AutoIt3 even better at helping me to write AutoIt scripts fast I was wondering if it is possible to customize the order of the entries in the popup list presented by Scite4AutoIt3. If I type "str" this is enough to bring up the first of the names beginning with "String". In the case of the string functions the list of names starting with "String" is quite long and to select StringLen, which is one I use frequently, I either have to scroll down 18 line or type most of the name.

What I would like to do if it is possible is to order the list so that the names I enter most frequently appear at the top of the list of names that start with "str", so that I could select the one I want with only 2 or 3 key presses.

I've read the Scite documentation on the Autocomplete propperties

autocomplete.choose.single

autocomplete.lexer.ignorecase

autocomplete.*.ignorecase

autocomplete.lexer.start.characters

autocomplete.*.start.characters

autocomplete.lexer.fillups

autocomplete.*.fillups

autocompleteword.automatic

but none of the seem to relate to what I am trying to do.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning."- Rick Cook

• Moderators

Bowmore,

Jos is away at the moment and so you will have to wait for a definitive answer to that. I think you might be able to reset the order of the names in one of the SciTE files - I will take a look. :)

But did you realise that you can just type "slen[sPACE]" to get StringLen? There are many abbreviations available - look in the SciTE help under <Abbreviation List> to see them all. There is another Help entry on how to add your own abbreviations - I have lots of my own for often used code snippets. ;)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

I think those settings for the showing of autocomplete are done in the lua script AutoItAutoComplete.lua. But in all honesty I believe your going to find that the way that have it set up already is really the best way.

@Melba23

I was only using the StringLen as an example, I do make use of the abbreviations but had not picked up that there was one for stringlen. There are so many abbreviations available that it is difficult to remember them all.

However your suggestion has led me to believe that creating my own abbreviations file with only the thing I use frequently in it and give them all memorable abbreviations is the way for me to go, unless Jos has any other suggestions when he's back.

Thanks

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning."- Rick Cook