I run a native *nix program on windows with interix on XP. The program was developed to run on interix on windows (there is no cygwin version for instance). Porting to cygwin is not something I can accomplish.

The program is executed from an interix c-shell by calling a script file from the command line (just like a csh script and the like). So what I want to do is automate performance of a bunch of serial scripting tasks that I otherwise would have to execute in turn manually. I could probably write another complex script that runs subscripts in turn, but I want to use a wrapper with a program I am more comfortable with. I was thinking of using matlab because I use it a lot, but I had used autoit successfully once and it seems it could do the trick.

So to the newbie question finally: how to control execution of a command-line command within an interix c-shell, using autoscript. It's all nice and legal, no harmful intentions. For that matter, how to control execution in an arbitrary second program using autoit, as say a macro wrapper. What is the level of difficulty of this task?

You might try using send() to inject/emulate your typing into the Internix window. Controlling anything within the window I am not sure you can do. You might try asking around on the Internix forum.