Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
coucou

Compile/Compress 25% less with AutoIt 3.1.1.0?

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

I've installed AutoIt on 2 computers PC1 and PC2.

I noticed when i compile an .au3 file i get 25% best compression on PC2. I investigate about, here what i found.

Software Revisions

- on PC1 the AutoIt installed is 3.1.1.0, on PC2 AutoIt 1 3.0.102.0

- upx have the same revision 1.25.0.0

Compilation file tested here attached calculator.zip AutoIt3 example file

- on PC1 when I click the file to compile, i can see calculator.exe (0K) then i get calculator.exe (119K)

- on PC2 when I click the file to compile, i see 2 files: calculator.exe (200K) and calculator.upx (0K) then i get calculator.exe (88K)

Aut2Exe.exe

- I ran Aut2Exe.exe on PC1, select "Compression/Highest", then "File/Convert" i got calculator.exe (119K)

- on PC2 i let the Compression as default "Normal" The converted file i get is calculator .exe (88K)

It is normal that AutoIt 3.1.1.0 compile/compress 25% less than AutoIt 1 3.0.102.0???

Is there any how to remedy to that???

TNX

coucou

Hi,

I've installed AutoIt on 2 computers PC1 and PC2.

I noticed when i compile an .au3 file i get 25% best compression on PC2. I investigate about, here what i found.

Software Revisions

- on PC1 the AutoIt installed is 3.1.1.0, on PC2  AutoIt 1 3.0.102.0

- upx have the same revision 1.25.0.0

Compilation file tested here attached calculator.zip  AutoIt3 example file

- on PC1 when I click the file to compile, i can see  calculator.exe (0K) then i get calculator.exe (119K)

- on PC2 when I click the file to compile, i see 2 files: calculator.exe (200K) and calculator.upx (0K) then i get calculator.exe (88K)

Aut2Exe.exe

- I ran Aut2Exe.exe on PC1, select "Compression/Highest", then "File/Convert" i got calculator.exe (119K)   

- on PC2 i let the Compression as default "Normal" The converted file i get is calculator .exe (88K)

It is normal that AutoIt 3.1.1.0 compile/compress 25% less than AutoIt 1 3.0.102.0???

Is there any how to remedy to that???

TNX

coucou

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe the default compression level was changed because bigger files that where loaded via FileInstall() took quit long to be expanded back onto disk....

see also the Compresion level option in Aut2EXE....

Visit the SciTE4AutoIt3 Download page for the latest versions        Beta files                                                          Forum Rules

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

I believe the default compression level was changed because bigger files that where loaded via FileInstall() took quit long to be expanded back onto disk.... 

see also the Compresion level option in Aut2EXE....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

TNX for reply.

Sorry to disappoint you, but if you red my topic you'll see that i did yr advise before posting my problem

Aut2Exe.exe

Regards

coucou

Is it possibly because there's simply a larger filesize for the later version?

I mean, if I look at an old AutoIt3.exe v3.1.0.14 (Don't know why I had this, but it's still here), I see filesize of 116kb.

Compare that to the latest beta, 3.1.1.61, it's 161kb. That's a difference of 45kb, which is 14kb more of a difference than your two compiled files.

Everytime new functions are added to the AutoIt core it makes the compilation a slightly bit bigger. That would be the increase as well as JdeB said the compression was slightly modified because of large FileInstall() includes.

JS

AutoIt Links

File-String Hash Plugin Updated! 04-02-2008 Plugins have been discontinued. I just found out.

ComputerGetInfo UDF's Updated! 11-23-2006

External Links

Vortex Revolutions Engineer / Inventor (Web, Desktop, and Mobile Applications, Hardware Gizmos, Consulting, and more)

I changed the compression code around that time. There was a bug in it and also it was pretty slow to decompress large files (very slow) so I did a more lightweight version that was much faster but for a small reduction in compression efficiency.

See here for details: http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...wtopic=2222&hl=