Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Wes2000

How should I go about this?

3 posts in this topic

Hey, I have been searching for a easy way to go to a website, have a program look at a specified number, and if it is lower than a certain amount, click that number for me, then refresh the page and repeat.

I know java, and I have scanned through this site and autoit looks pretty cool and not that hard to learn. Would this be a good language to do this 'bot' in? If so could you give me a few points to get started or let me know if there is anything like this already? Also if it isnt a good tool for my task, could you tell me what would be?

Hey, I have been searching for a easy way to go to a website, have a program look at a specified number, and if it is lower than a certain amount, click that number for me, then refresh the page and repeat.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds like a lot of ways to handle that, depending on the site. Check out InetGet() -- If COM doesn't scare you off, download the beta, and take a look at posts by DaleHolm and Scriptkitty --they'll get you moving on the road to IE Automation Domination.

If you post the URL you're interested in, it would be easier to say what options might work better for you.

Reading the help file before you post... Not only will it make you look smarter, it will make you smarter.

Yes, I think that AutoIt with COM support is well suited to this sort of task.

Getting a reference to the link that you want to click on is the only tricky part and requires a look at the HTML source The code (using a function library I'm writing) could look something like this:

#include <IE.au3>
$oIE = _IECreate()
_IENavigate($oIE, "http://your url")
$o_anchors = _IETagNameGetCollection($oIE,"a")
While $o_anchors.item(you-supply-index).value < your-threshold
    $o_anchors.item(you-supply-index).click
    _IEAction($oIE, "refresh")
Wend

Dale

IE Automation UDF Library

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Automate input type=file (Related)

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

IE.au3 issues with Vista - Workarounds

SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble