Input Counter

I'm not sure if this is a little too close to the realm of keyloggers which are not allowed to be discussed. If it is I apologize in advanced.

What I want to do is create a productivity tracking application. I want to create an application that will monitor window changes track activity duration on each window, and break it down by number of mouse moves, clicks, and keystrokes. My end application will most likely be developed in Java to be ported on Mac and Linux, but I think Auto-It can give me a nice proof of concept as it has a multitude of UDFs that can assist me with screenshots every 10 min, timers, and networking.

How can I go about intercepting these events to increment a variable? The documentation for GUIRegisterMsg says:

Some controls consume internally specific Windows Message ID, so registrating them will have no effect, e.g; WM_CHAR, WM_KEYDOWN, WM_KEYUP are consumed by an edit control.

slbmeh,

Yes, this is indeed a "grey" area. Mouse clicks, moves and keystrokes are easy. Window changes and whatever you mean by networking are another matter.

I'll wait for a Mod to offer an opinion before proceeding. It might be helpfull if you fleshed out each detail and offered some example of code that you've developed.

Good Luck,

kylomas

Forum Rules         Procedure for posting code

"I like pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.  Pigs treat us as equals."

- Sir Winston Churchill