Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
itguyblake

Help with "Run" function

2 posts in this topic

Ok, it's probably a very easy issue to solve. I'm new to this scripting stuff : )

I've been trying to use AutoIt over a network. I have all of the scripts, applications, etc. on a "server" PC running XP pro.

I'm using the program to automate the installation of our software package for all of our new and refurbished PCs at our repair shop.

I've written scripts for approx. 10 programs and tested them successfully on the "server" PC and on discs. My problem lies when I try to run the compiled scripts from another PC on the network. I've tried to use:

Run("F:\Installs\program.exe") and Run("\\Newserver\F:\Installs\program.exe") but neither seems to work.

What should I use to point to the directories on the "server" pc? Do I need to put the workgroup or IP address of the server PC? All of the machines are in the same workgroup.

Also, some of the programs are in different folders on the "server" PC, does that make a difference?

Thank you for your help.

#2 ·  Posted (edited)

If the F: drive is shared, you'd use ServerFfilename.exe, if it's not shared, you'd have to use the administrative sharename which would be ServerF$filename.exe. If you're on a domain, and not a work group, and the log in used on the computer you're running it on is for an admistrator of the domain, you can use the Run command. If the computers are on a Workgroup, you'd need to use RunAs, and supply the credentials of an administrator of the computer that holds the program that you're running, the "server" computer's administrator that is.

Edited by BrewManNH

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator