Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Overlaying GUIs in full screen apps

9 posts in this topic

Posted

My company's got some old training applications that we want to add overlays to for providing additional information to the user. We don't have the rights to go in and edit the code to the program itself or we'd just go that route, so we figured attempting to overlay additional info would be our next look.

This isn't something I can test until about a month from now as we only have a couple of machines that have it loaded down and we don't have any additional licenses for them, so I have to wait for those machines to be available to work on and we really don't have any other apps that go real "full screen", so that's why I'm asking this question before trying it out myself and possibly wasting time on it.

Can GUIs be overlayed a full screen app? Is there any options that have to be declared to get it to get it to work etc?

Posted

Sounds like you want a full screen gui with transparency (WinSetTrans) or a transparent pic and the WinSetOnTop option...

Posted

Ahh I didn't know the GUI had a transparency option. My first thought was making multiple GUIs just the size of the labels/text boxes I wanted and positioning them appropriately.

Posted

Depending on what exactly you want to do, the transparency may or may not work. anything in the gui with transparancy (text, buttons, etc.) will also "fade" out with the tranparancy level. you could use child guis inside the main transparant one, or I believe a transparent backgroud image may work.

Posted

So just a blank single layer transparent PNG layed as the background image should do it? Also will have to make it borderless etc.

Posted

Well i also want something like this.

But can't yet make something.

P.s: If u want i can test the code for you. ;)

Posted

So just a blank single layer transparent PNG layed as the background image should do it? Also will have to make it borderless etc.

You can try it. I haven't messed with transparent images yet so I don't know if it makes the gui transparent or just the image (can still see the gui color behid the image).

If it doesn't work, then you can still do a full screen popup gui with total transparency and use child windows for your notes/additional info.

Posted

Well i also want something like this.

But can't yet make something.

P.s: If u want i can test the code for you. ;)

lol i won't start on coding it for a bit. just gathering data atm.

Posted

Well I mean to say that when u got the data please pm me.

I am also trying to make something like that.