Generate program list

If you go to Add/Remove programs, does Google Chrome show there?

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

• Moderators

Chrome does show up in Add/Remove. However, it is one of the few applications I have seen that installs into HKCU, not HKLM.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

One thing I noticed with "Enumerate Local Apps with Uninstall().au3" is that it doesn't seem to find Google Chrome, even though it's installed.

Anyone know why this is, and what other installed s/ware might be missed?

Chrome does show up in Add/Remove. However, it is one of the few applications I have seen that installs into HKCU, not HKLM.

As JLogan stated, it adds itself to HKCU. You can use that script and add a section to enumerate the HKCU...Uninstall keys and combine both the HKLM and HKCU to build your list. You may have to perform some maintenance on the list before or after combining them however (looking for duplicates etc.)

Spoiler

“Hello, ladies, look at your man, now back to me, now back at your man, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped using ladies scented body wash and switched to Old Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re on a boat with the man your man could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an oyster with two tickets to that thing you love. Look again, the tickets are now diamonds. Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady. I’m on a horse.”

As JLogan stated, it adds itself to HKCU. You can use that script and add a section to enumerate the HKCU...Uninstall keys and combine both the HKLM and HKCU to build your list. You may have to perform some maintenance on the list before or after combining them however (looking for duplicates etc.)

Thank you (and the others) who pointed out the reason for the Chrome anomoly. Something for me to look at in the future. Unless someone beats me to it. :D

• Moderators

I ran through a few more scenarios with Chrome, as I have never used it before. It seems the application installs into the HKCU if you just go out and run the Web Installer; it is not available to other users on the system unless you use the All Users Web Installer. However, in a network environment, the MSI installer installs into the HKLM per normal behavior, making it searchable with this script.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

I ran through a few more scenarios with Chrome, as I have never used it before. It seems the application installs into the HKCU if you just go out and run the Web Installer; it is not available to other users on the system unless you use the All Users Web Installer. However, in a network environment, the MSI installer installs into the HKLM per normal behavior, making it searchable with this script.

Do you know if Chrome an anomoly in this regard, or there's other software that does this? If it's highly uncommon, then I probably won't be too concerned about coding around it.

• Moderators

I'm not sure why they do it this way, but I've been repackaging software for a long time and cannot recall any other mainstream applications doing this. Even if I set the ALLUSERS property to 0 in the MSI, the uninstall key is still generated in the HKLM, and the files still go into the Program Files directory; it is simply the shortcuts and any HKCU settings or .ini file changes that do not automatically get passed to the user.

I just tested with an install of Adobe Reader, and even when I install it for one specific user, another user can launch it through the install directory. They just don't get all the settings buried in their personal hive in the registry (i.e. the MSI does not do a self-heal).

It makes sense to me, if nothing is installed to hklm or a system directory, non administrators may be able to install the software. And if affected by malware, it should confine the damage to the non-administrator's profile.

Somewhat frustrating from an administrative POV though.

Edited by DicatoroftheUSA

Chrome installs itself like malware, it allows non-admins to install software when they shouldn't be allowed to do so. In the school I work at I had to use a group policy to prevent the installer from running at all because otherwise there was no way to prevent it from being installed where I didn't want it. I eventually had to install it for other reasons so the GP wasn't needed any longer, and I installed the standalone installer package so it installed to the "correct" folder.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I'm surprised sysadmins everywhere haven't complained to Google about this. Or maybe they have. <_<

I am pretty sure google wants to eliminate sys-admins. They want a world where all products are their products ran off their servers. Don't be evil "mwahahahaaaaa"

I'm surprised sysadmins everywhere haven't complained to Google about this. Or maybe they have. <_<

Google does this for security reasons, and to also bypass admin security XD

Because it installs to the local user,you don't need admin rights to install google chrome 0.o

Spoiler

“Hello, ladies, look at your man, now back to me, now back at your man, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped using ladies scented body wash and switched to Old Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re on a boat with the man your man could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an oyster with two tickets to that thing you love. Look again, the tickets are now diamonds. Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady. I’m on a horse.”

Google does this for security reasons, and to also bypass admin security XD

Because it installs to the local user,you don't need admin rights to install google chrome 0.o

I have already seen mal-ware that takes this approach. I blow away the profile. I guess that is better than wiping the system. Now if only I could convince my boss's bosses to fire people who download that stuff it would not be such a bad thing. But that would make my boss's bosses hypocrites, can't have that, it's better for them to blame IT for not having cognizant content filter.

I have already seen mal-ware that takes this approach. I blow away the profile. I guess that is better than wiping the system. Now if only I could convince my boss's bosses to fire people who download that stuff it would not be such a bad thing. But that would make my boss's bosses hypocrites, can't have that, it's better for them to blame IT for not having cognizant content filter.

It's like baby-proofing your house... try as hard as you want, but they'll still get into shit.

Spoiler