Linking fields across different forms

I have two forms that one is essential a shorter version of the other for when you don't need to fill everything in. Though they are a completely different designs, the long form has everything spread across tabs with more detailed information collection, the short form has a filed or two from each of the tabs on a single screen.

Is there a way to directly tie the similar fields to each other? I know I can catch the the focus events and copy data between the forms as a field loses focus, I was looking for a way to have textbox A on long form = textbox A on short form and vice versa without having to catch the focus change events and set them manually.

Without a script it's hard to say what's best. You could poll the input fields to see if the text has changed and set the data in the short form accordingly. If the short form is not visible then there is a better solution: only set the data in the short form when it becomes visible.

well this is just a small part that I have been asked to add to an existing 6000 line script so it is kind of hard to show just those portions and have it make much sense. But the idea to update the forms on opening/closing/submitting of the short form should work well since the long version is not on screen at the same time.

Thanks, I probably shouldn't be working on new features at midnight when my brain is ready to go to sleep otherwise i might have thought of that.

If you find yourself in a really tricky 6000 line script and the one feature you want to impliment isn't working, then strip it down to about 100 lines and try to impliment the feature on a small scale. If you still can't figure out how to proceed, post the scaled down code reproducer and describe what you are trying to do. Nine times out of ten you will find the solution yourself and become a better programmer in the process. Sometimes a good night's sleep helps too. :)