modify HKU registry entries

What's the current preferred method for interacting with registry hives?

I need to be able to modify / create / delete registry entries for users not logged in; and they are no longer accessible directly from the HKU registry branch by default.

Ideally, I could get the XP behavior back; where each of the SIDS for users who had been logged on appear in the HKU section of the hive.

Reading the help file before you post... Not only will it make you look smarter, it will make you smarter.

group policy editor not available on home editions -- there is a ms database link, however that does provide the mappings for registry / group policy. There may well be hacks involved that allow this edit; but not necessary given that gpedit is a shell to the registry.

Reading the help file before you post... Not only will it make you look smarter, it will make you smarter.

It doesn't help saying it doesn't work. Because, well it does. Loading a hive is the only way to modify a non logged on users registry directly on XP, 7, and probably 8.

Patently untrue for XP. Using only RegWrite and RegRead you can modify HKU trees for non logged on users in xp. I've done it and have working code to prove it. You can prove it to yourself by simply opening the registry as an administrator on an XP workstation, and viewing all of the SIDS that appear under the HKU tree.

$username = RegRead("HKU\" & $key_name & "\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer", "Logon User Name")

But since you don't say what is failing we can't really help you.

Again, patently untrue. You're trying to answer a different question than the one that was asked.

I asked for known working, currently being used solutions from someone who is doing this currently. You have thrown up five year old scripts that were not tested with windows 7.

If I decide I want help debugging / updating five year old scripts, I'll post code snippets and ask for help in a thread that actually asks for that.

I can't judge how helpful you are trying to be, but check my profile -- I've been here since 2003, and this ain't my first rodeo. I've been really patient with you to this point. Someone has done this, and will be by in a day or two, and actually be willing to help out. Until then, stop cluttering up the thread.

Again, pls stop cluttering the thread w/ your personal attacks and close minded attempts to understand what was asked for in the first place.

• Developers

@DicatoroftheUSA,

Please stop deleting all posts in a thread after first going into a discussion.

There is no problem when you simply walk away when you feel you can't help somebody.

ps.We can see all deleted items.

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)