Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wraithdu

Choosing a Python environment

4 posts in this topic

I'd like to branch out a bit and learn Python. I'm looking for some opinions on a good (and free) IDE to start with - Windows compatible, something actively developed and preferably with a GUI builder; a good library for interacting with Windows - win32 API, COM (maybe PyWin32); and a preferred GUI framework that won't make every app HUGE with framework DLLs - wxPython, Tk, Qt.

Thanks in advance!

IronPython is a Visual Studio/.Net IDE version of Python. I'd recommend it if only for the Visual Studio part.

Only thing I'm not seeing is a GUI builder. Give it a try since it's free, if you don't like it, there are plenty of other options.

I've also seen Eclipse with PyDev recommended, and I think I set that up a long time ago on an old machine but never used it. Opinions on that? It seems more actively developed than IronPython.

#4 ·  Posted (edited)

I absolutely hate Eclipse.

Another one I would recommend looking in to is Monodevelop. Apparently it has Python support and I know at least the IDE has GUI builder support. Dunno if it has extended to Python though.

Edited by Richard Robertson