AutoHotKey

Angel

Hi,

there hare been too recent posts to LifeHacker and to DownloadSquad where people rave about AutoHotKey.

If am not mistaken, AutoHotKey is just a rip off of AutoIt v2? I really do not want to start a flame war with them but AutoIt is so good that I do not understand why it is not AutoIt instead of AutoHotKey that gets the attention that it deserves.

Perhaps you could put some useful comments in those 2 stories so that at least people know that there is an excellent alternative to AutoHotKey.

Cheers,

Angel

AHK is for the noobs that cant code upto standards.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe you are just joking, or maybe that is exactly the kind of attitude that drives people to an inferior scripting language. :">

Seriosly, I've already read several remarks on that sense (i.e. the snobbiness of the AutoIt community) on the web. Why ruin things with such an attitude (and I am really not referring to you w0uter, this is just something I've noticed).

Cheers,

Angel

If am not mistaken, AutoHotKey is just a rip off of AutoIt v2?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

some ppl hate AHK for that.

i personly just dislike it due tue there syntax.

AHK was here before i was so i dont really "HATE" em.

also i remember someone say like "quality over quantity, since quality is quantity".

cant remember who though.

My UDF's:;mem stuff_Mem;ftp stuff_FTP ( OLD );inet stuff_INetGetSource ( OLD )_INetGetImage _INetBrowse ( Collection )_EncodeUrl_NetStat_Google;random stuff_iPixelSearch_DiceRoll

Not that anyone will believe me but not all people that like to have fun scripting games are the devils children. I have written thousands of lines of code to create my healer slaves and have not released a single line. I do it for me, I also write scripts for work but the attitude that prevails here about gamers makes me feel like a second class citizen in this community.

The issue over that Hooch, is that many people do use this language for cheating. Then people get angry over the fact that the person used AutoIt to write the program. They then infer that AutoIt supports such actions, which then leads to negative press for AutoIt.

By denying help to people writing scripts of such nature (i.e., i want AU3 to search the screen for an image, if its there, click it 500 times really fast), we help to prevent AutoIt from turning into a cheating language, and to keep it as a Windows Automation language.

My opinion is that anything can/should be automated on a computer where it does not involve competition. If you're writing a script to compete against a person in Texas or Washington, how fair is it for them to go up against a computer? It's not. The conduct of childish 'Internetters' using programs like this and others, is what gives so many things a bad rap.

Writing AutoIt scripts since

_DateAdd("d", -2, _NowCalcDate())

Well there isn't much you can do about that, I can buy a wrench from snap-on and go club some seals with it too. It wasn't meant for that but a tool is a tool.

I know exactly the type of people you guys are refering to, a search for diablo on these forums shows most of them. I'm just saying that I use autoit at work and play and the experiments I have done in my games has greatly increased my knowledge of autoit. It's not always bad.

• Developers

Well there isn't much you can do about that, I can buy a wrench from snap-on and go club some seals with it too. It wasn't meant for that but a tool is a tool.

I know exactly the type of people you guys are refering to, a search for diablo on these forums shows most of them. I'm just saying that I use autoit at work and play and the experiments I have done in my games has greatly increased my knowledge of autoit. It's not always bad.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Exceptions confirm the rule.."

Don't think you were around when the Games Forum was active. You would understand why in general the gamers are not taken very serious.

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

I think AutoIt is hated by un-intelligent people... (Not bragging or anything :whistle:) Because when they come here and ask for people to write them a script, obviously, they'll get a few nasty remarks, but most of them are just saying, go away, or learn. And no, writing scripts for games is fine, but do it yourself, and do it for personal matters. Like for me, I automate things on my computer, but I also like to go find the little one player games on like http://www.addictinggames.com and automate those too. It's just fun. But it's not fun when someone comes in saying, "how can i search for redz and lyke click on itz leik 39 or 56 timez? cuz lyke i need 2 win this cl4n ma7ch t0night!! gimme now plz..." Those are generally the one day users, who come in, ask for a script to be written just for them, and get hated on, and go to AHK and someone writes them a script. So then it's a natural reaction for them to think AutoIt sucks, but it doesn't. :dance:

FootbaG

@Hooch

I would definitely say you arent grouped with those that are selfish. You are bettering yourself by use of AutoIt, not only yourself, but maybe even the company you work for.

Yes a tool is a tool, and can do what it was meant to do, or you can get someone creative, and it opens a whole can of worms. What people dont understand about things is, people are bad not the tool. The first 'object' to kill anyone I believe was a rock? Not trying to bring up other controversial subjects, but guns were made for defense, and look what PEOPLE have turned them into. There isnt a gun in this world that has killed anyone. It is an inanimate object, but in the WRONG hands it can do great damage. If everyone would realize this concept and apply it to all parts of life, the world would be a smarter place, but the likely hood of this happening is slim to none. So we have to defend what we have, and uphold the name as much as possible.

My 3 cents :whistle:,

JS

AutoIt Links

File-String Hash Plugin Updated! 04-02-2008 Plugins have been discontinued. I just found out.

ComputerGetInfo UDF's Updated! 11-23-2006

External Links

Vortex Revolutions Engineer / Inventor (Web, Desktop, and Mobile Applications, Hardware Gizmos, Consulting, and more)