Using AutoIt to map hotkeys?

Hey all; I'll admit right off the bat that I'm using you guys as a cheat sheet - the situation is, I have a 3rd party shade analysis program I use for work, that requires me to toggle between two tools. Basically, get a picture of a skyline and I need to color everything that's shaded as green, and open sky as yellow. The issue is, for detailed skylines, I need to switch between green and yellow often, and there are no hotkeys built in - I have to do it all by clicking the "green" and the "yellow" buttons in one corner of the screen.

I wanted to write a script that maps this toggle action to hot keys so I can switch between the colors faster, and a buddy mentioned that AutoIt might be able to help.

I have some basic programming experience, but learning to script with AutoIt would nonetheless take a time commitment to get comfortable with. I read through the introduction and it looks like something the program can handle, but I wanted to check with you guys as far as if this is something that AutoIt would be good for (and, if I'm lucky, some suggestions on where to start/how to approach this type of task).

Thanks in advance for anything you guys can offer.

If you can walk and chew gum at the same time, you will most probably have no or very little trouble learning AutoIt. I would suggest that, along with the Tutorials in the AutoIt Wiki, you read through the Documentation (also located here - directly) to familiarize yourself with what AutoIt can do, and what you can do with AutoIt. And this forum is a great place to ask questions, make sure you read the Forum Rules first though.

Here is a link (to a function in the Help file..) that may help get you started - HotKeySet.

Welcome to the Forum!

Edited by somdcomputerguy

- Bruce /*somdcomputerguy */  If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.