Debugger Error "Illegal characters in path"

I just got a Debugger Error "Illegal characters in path". I attempted to use the "Email Report" button but it refused to create and email message.

I have been using AutoIt3 for over a year and have developed a number of fairly complex apps. I have a decades long history of development in MS Visual Basic including some professionally. Over the past few weeks, I have been developing a new app and have had no problems until tonight.

Since the last successful compile, I had just made a couple of minor changes and attempted to "Run" the code in debug mode which I had done numerous times over the past couple of weeks. The error message above appeared. I described the error in the in the "mscorlib" dialog. Then I clicked the "Email Report" button as I have successfully done in the past. But it refused to create an email. I was not allowed to continue the debugger so it closed.

I attempted to reopen my code in the debugger but the debugger refused to even run--the error message reappeared before the debugger screen even opened. If I clicked "Continue Application", the debugger screen did appear but my code is was not displayed. I also was not able to open the big blue "Open..." button without the same error. As a result, I am no longer able to use the debugger at all. :( Thankfully, I AM able to load my code into SciTE so I can continue SOME of my work but I sure miss the debugger!

Based on the above, I am suspicious that the illegal character was written to the Registry as part of the debugger's list of last opened files. If that is the case, I am not sure where that list is kept in the Registry.

I am attaching a screen print of the error dialog data. If you can help me figure this out, it would be greatly appreciated.

BugReport01.jpg

• Moderators

BillM,

Welcome to the AutoIt forum. :)

What "debugger" are you using - none are supplied as standard. :huh:

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Hello M23. Thanks for the welcome and the reply.

I did not (yet) realize there were multiple debuggers available. I am using the debugger that thought came with AutoIt3, "AutoIt Debugger" ver 0.45.1.0 by Steve Towner.

Although I worked quite a bit with AutoIt last summer, I did almost nothing with it again till a few weeks ago. At that time I got a new Cybertron Desktop PC with lots of processing power and storage. I am also running Win8 64bit.

I had to reinstall everything and I downloaded and installed all of the latest versions of standard stuff from the AutoIt download page including the Debugger. So I should have all the "latest and greatest".

The app I am developing is a desktop calendar widget. I missed the one I was using with Windows Sidebar but I did not like any of the other standalone apps I found online, So I decided to put together my own. I was about 80% done with it when this happened.

Since my first post, I have searched my entire registry for all AutoIt entries but I found nothing that seemed to be a debugger previously opened file list.

So I am still stuck. Any help hugely appreciated!

• Moderators

BillM,

The "official" Autoit download page is here - no debugger there. ;)

What you have is this UDF from Stumpii - but he has not been around for nearly a year. I suggest you post on the dedicated FoolOnTheHill forum as I have no idea how many people here use this tool - I certainly do not. :huh:

Sorry I cannot be of more help - better luck next time perhaps. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

M23, again thanks for the reply!

Ooops, I could have sworn I downloaded it from the AutoIt download page. Obviously my memory is failing me more and more as I get older and older! :)

But I am not entirely crazy yet because, though I may not have actually gotten it where I said, I did actually find out about it on the AutoIt forum. '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

But in reviewing the actual debugger's web site by Stumpii (AKA The Fool on the Hill), it seems that it is no longer available??? All he seems to have now is the online help file for it. If so, that is a shame because his debugger was great! I did find their forum but found no help on my issue as of yet. I will post it there and see what response I get.

So I guess I am out of luck on AutoIt support for the debugger and I should not have wasted your time. But I do thank you MUCH for your patience with me.

• Moderators

BillM,

No problem. Good luck with finding a solution - and if you do, could you please post it in the UDF thread so others can benefit too. ;)

M23

Spoiler

Still here, but been very busy and had little time to check the forum or work on the code.

Anyway, can you try removing the local stored data and running the program again. To do this:

1. Close the Debugger if it is open

2. Press Win+R and enter "%LOCALAPPDATA%AutoIt Debugger" into the box and click OK.

3. Delete the contents of the folder.

4. Run the Debugger again.

If this fixes the issue, can you let me know the file path that is causing the issue, or send me the file/folder name via email so I recreate the issue.

Thanks, Stumpii

“Give a man a script; you have helped him for today. Teach a man to script; and you will not have to hear him whine for help.”AutoIt4UE - Custom AutoIt toolbar and wordfile for UltraEdit/UEStudio users.AutoIt Graphical Debugger - A graphical debugger for AutoIt.SimMetrics COM Wrapper - Calculate string similarity.