UpdateEngine UDF

cyberbit

I put together this UDF that allows for easy updates from a remote server or share. It reads a simple INI file from the remote directory to determine if an update is required or not.

The example in the archive is for a share. I can't really build a working example of an update from a server, but I know it works because I've tried it many times. Just ask questions if you get stuck.

Pretty much everything you need is in the archive:

WVGxXka.png

To get the sources, run "example.exe." This will also demonstrate the example update process, copy, and restart the program from the UpdateEngine folder on your Desktop. Or, if you don't trust me, extract them yourself from the update.exe self-extracting archive made with 7-zip. Or, if you don't trust that, forget the whole thing and bother some other thread.  :bye:

The rest is pretty self explanatory. There's a trick I used in the START command to prevent the script from waiting until the program terminates to continue, but this article explains it better than I can:

START "" program.exe

Always include a TITLE this can be a simple string like "My Script" or just a pair of empty quotes ""
According to the Microsoft documentation, the title is optional, but you may will have problems if it is omitted.

Never knew this, thought I'd share it.

UpdateEngine.zip

As always, comments and complaints are appreciated! (So are compliments, but don't feel beholden.  :D)

-cb

Previous versions:

UpdateEngine.au3

Edited by cyberbit

_ArrayConcatenate2D · Aero Flip 3D · EPOCH (destroy timestamps) · File Properties Modifier · _GetFileType · UpdateEngine<new> · In-line Case (_ICase) <new>

[hr]

50% of the time, it works all the time. -PezoFaSho

Nice work, may come in handy :thumbsup:

Just look at us.
Everything is backwards; everything is upside down. Doctors destroy health. Lawyers destroy justice. Universities destroy knowledge. Governments destroy freedom. The major media destroy information and religions destroy spirituality. ~ Michael Ellner

The internet is our one and only hope at a truly free world, do not let them take it from us...