Sign in to follow this  
shankar

Unable to bypass the file download dialog

shankar

Hi,

I have a requirement wherein auser exports data from one of the pages in the application and the data is exported in a file whose type / extension is not known to the browser.

Let's say the file type is .xyz and browser doesn't understand this extension. When trying to download the file, i see a file download dialog with Open / Save / Cancel buttons. Ideally i am looking to bypass this dialog to ensure that i open the file in a notepad or some other window.

I have tried using the script >_ShellFile and was able to make a registry entry for the file type .xyz under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Classes. However i am still seeing the download dialog which i do not want to. How can i bypass the dowload dialog window?

Please provide your inputs and guidance on this one.

trancexx

Assuming you use IE.au3 it's very simple, don't use it. IE.au3 can't avoid IE's download dialog for specific mime types.

There are other ways to download file, search around. If you really don't find anything, ask again.

♡♡♡

eMyvnE

BinaryBrother

You and I might be asking a similar question.
/'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

My problem is spawned as a result of the page headers including "octet/stream". Since I can't change what headers the website is sending, my only resolve is going to be finding a way to make the IE UDF react differently or change the way that the local machine handles that specific type of header, which is not generally a good idea.

However, I'm actually looking into these as a possible resolve. [Given that you're stuck on using the IE UDF]
http://fiddler2.com/

http://www.charlesproxy.com/

They're proxies so that you may manipulate the information before your program receives it, which isn't what I'm recommending, but it's an idea.

Edited by BinaryBrother

shankar

Thanks for the responses. However i am not looking for an IE specific solution. I would like to have this working on IE, FireFox and Chrome browsers.