Internet Censor

Sorry for being a noob guys but I have developed an interest in coding recently so I've taken up AutoIt. I know a lot of the basic stuff thanks to a youtube series I saw. But on that note I decided to try and make a project of my on. The Overlord Internet Censor. But I have NO idea how to censor websites. Could anyone help? I am trying to get a list of websites to open up a image I have made. Thanks for your help guys :D 

~Shomari

Welcome to the AutoIt forums.

A project like you describe is a good idea, but it could also get very complicated. Factors you will have to remember are: the diversity of browsers available today; password protecting the program so a user cannot just kill the program (or uninstall it) to bypass it; are you going to filter by keywords or actual website addresses? This last one, filtering by keywords or websites can be the biggest challenge.

If you are considering filtering by keywords, I suggesting downloading Firefox and an add-on called Adblock Plus. Adblock mostly filters by keywords. Look at the filters to get an idea of what would be involved in such a scheme.

If you are considering filtering by websites, you could do so with the hosts file that Windows uses. Just set websites you want to filter to point to a particular website or 127.0.0.1. A while back, I downloaded a hosts file that was configured to be used as a web filter and it was MASSIVE. I'm sure such a large file would reduce internet responsiveness.

There is another possibility. You could make your own program with IE embedded and create your own search bar. You could filter the keywords before sending the search to the browser. But if you did this, you would have to make sure the user could not just close your program and use the browser by itself.

These are just a few ideas. Maybe someone more advanced can give better pointers. Good luck!

> " ... I'm sure such a large file would reduce internet responsiveness ... "

Thats wrong. Hosts file will be load in ram at startup. Because it is used for domain name resolution, its a faster response then contacting a nameserver und it saves a lot of traffic from adservers. it does not slow down speed and responsiveness, it speeds it up.

AutoIt-Syntaxsheme for Proton & Phase5 * Firefox Addons by me (resizable Textarea 0.1d) (docked JS-Console 0.1.1)