Sign in to follow this  
itzsnitz

Natural Language Permutations

itzsnitz

I'm brand spanking new. I don't wish to be a boat anchor or to abuse this awesome forum in any way. I've seen several threads locked regarding the topic in question. I do not need a "plug and play" solution, I'm certainly willing to do the majority of the work. However I was hoping some more experienced scripters could help me think through the solution to my problem. 

To put it simply, I mistyped a password... twice. It is a 38 character natural language password used to encrypt a certain file on my computer. I'm trying to deduce the best method for figuring out my mistake. I have spent about 2hrs now typing permutations and trying them without success. There is no "recover password" option in this scenario. I decided that even if I simply kept creating permutations manually (I have been tracking them as well) it would at least be helpful to have a script attempt them on my behalf. That's how I came upon AutoIt. 

Seeing the vast potential for this tool, I decided that perhaps I could create a script to help me create the permutations. I have deduced thus far that the error was most likely an extra keystroke, or hitting an adjacent key, or the similar.

I understand that discussing the methods for brute force is not acceptable. I'm not 100% sure that what I'm asking (creating permutations on a known sequence) is kosher. Before we delve too deep into the discussion, I want to make sure I'm not overstepping my bounds. 

Thanks in advance! I'm searching the forums for previous threads that might be helpful. If this is a kosher discussion, I will post what I find here as well.

Jos

I'm brand spanking new. I don't wish to be a boat anchor or to abuse this awesome forum in any way. I've seen several threads locked regarding the topic in question. I do not need a "plug and play" solution,

Normally it is a pretty good indicator that this is a topic we don;t want to have discussed here when they are locked (Probably with a reason).

Hope you read the forum rules first before posting again.

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource        Forum Rules

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)