Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
itzsnitz

Natural Language Permutations

2 posts in this topic

I'm brand spanking new. I don't wish to be a boat anchor or to abuse this awesome forum in any way. I've seen several threads locked regarding the topic in question. I do not need a "plug and play" solution, I'm certainly willing to do the majority of the work. However I was hoping some more experienced scripters could help me think through the solution to my problem. 

To put it simply, I mistyped a password... twice. It is a 38 character natural language password used to encrypt a certain file on my computer. I'm trying to deduce the best method for figuring out my mistake. I have spent about 2hrs now typing permutations and trying them without success. There is no "recover password" option in this scenario. I decided that even if I simply kept creating permutations manually (I have been tracking them as well) it would at least be helpful to have a script attempt them on my behalf. That's how I came upon AutoIt. 

Seeing the vast potential for this tool, I decided that perhaps I could create a script to help me create the permutations. I have deduced thus far that the error was most likely an extra keystroke, or hitting an adjacent key, or the similar.

I understand that discussing the methods for brute force is not acceptable. I'm not 100% sure that what I'm asking (creating permutations on a known sequence) is kosher. Before we delve too deep into the discussion, I want to make sure I'm not overstepping my bounds. 

Thanks in advance! I'm searching the forums for previous threads that might be helpful. If this is a kosher discussion, I will post what I find here as well.

I'm brand spanking new. I don't wish to be a boat anchor or to abuse this awesome forum in any way. I've seen several threads locked regarding the topic in question. I do not need a "plug and play" solution,

Normally it is a pretty good indicator that this is a topic we don;t want to have discussed here when they are locked (Probably with a reason).

Hope you read the forum rules first before posting again.

Jos

Visit the SciTE4AutoIt3 Download page for the latest versions        Beta files                                                          Forum Rules

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)