Read 64 bit reg keys from 32 bit machine?

Go to solution Solved by MilesAhead,

Hi guys,

Great product and great forum. I've gone from a complete script/program noob to actually writing a functional tool for work :)

I'm stumped with this issue though. I can't seem to read 64 bit registry keys of computers on the network with my tool from my 32 bit machine. It functions great when I compile out as x64 and run from a 64 bit machine (obviously).

Basically I'm trying to read Uninstall product codes from the registry remotely. I'm looking in these locations :

HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionUninstall

HKLM64SOFTWAREWOW6432NodeMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionUninstall

HKLM64SOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionUninstall

If I do a RegEnumKey loop at these 3 locations from my 32 bit machine I usually read a 64 bit machine's 32 bit keys twice and no 64 bit keys.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

*edited for clarity*

Edited by AJMcChampion

Well, i can't really understand... You've got 2 OS. 1st: 32bit, 2nd: 64bit.

On a 32bit system you want to read 64bit registry entries? Is it possible at all? I think a 32bit system has ONLY simple HKLM and not HKLM64.

I could have explained it a little better, heh.

I'm trying to read the registry of systems across the network. Remotely from my 32 bit machine. I'm checking a list of PCs, some 32 bit some 64 bit, for uninstall product codes listed in the above location/s. If I read a 64 bit machine from my 32 bit one I only read its 32 bit keys. If I do the same from a 64 bit machine I read all the keys, 32 and 64.

Pretty sure the answer lies here

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa384129%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

"By default, a 32-bit application running on WOW64 accesses the 32-bit registry view and a 64-bit application accesses the 64-bit registry view. The following flags enable 32-bit applications to access redirected keys in the 64-bit registry view and 64-bit applications to access redirected keys in the 32-bit registry view."

But it's beyond me...