AuroIT v3 vs. WinBatch

k93

I have used WinBatch at work in the past, but have not used it since I retired.  I now need to do various things on my home PCs that go beyond using basic DOS scripting.  I could try to use PowerShell, but it is complex - I am more interested in doing shell type scripting for PC maintenance work such as disk/folder/file management, PC maintenance, etc.

I just started looking at AutoIT and so far it looks promissing.  It seems to be generally similar to WinBatch, but the price is more in line for a home user.  And the support seems to be very good.

How does AutoIT compare to WinBatch for non-GUI functionality, especially for disk/folder/file management, PC maintenance, and other (including registry, date/time, string maniputation, file I/O, interfacing with MS Office, interaction with external programs such as robocopy, access to and work on networked PCs and storage).

• Moderators

Which language is better/easier/more powerful is, as it always is, in the eye of the beholder. I have worked with folks who knew VBS front and back, and would swear they could do things in it easier than with AutoIt (something I disputed vehemently of course :) ). Personally, I have not found much that I ever did in WinBatch that I could not do in AutoIt, and usually with less effort.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Well, I've never used Winbatch, but I can say, that I think there isn't any thing that you can't do with AutoIt (Except real deep coding, like global hooks, ring0, etc & since it's a scripting lang, you can't make DLL).

It has the ability to deal with all the things to described :)

If you know the syntax & the commands, yo'll ba able to handle anything.

Edited by Unc3nZureD

I'm experienced in both WinBatch and AutoIt . Honestly I can tell you the major difference between the two is with WinBatch is you have to pay for it and AutoIt is free.  I've never found anything that WinBatch could do that AutoIt could not do. Saying that I've pretty much dropped WinBatch for AutoIt and never looked back.

My experienced opinion is this: Use AutoIt in place of WinBatch and enjoy.

• Moderators

Ditto to what MBALZESHARI said. In fact, there have been few times when I found anything I couldn't do more easily with AutoIt within the realm of scripting. I have, in fact, only found one thing in VBScript that seemed to be easier that it is in AutoIt, and that only one or two steps shorter.

Edited by JLogan3o13

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!