Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thisthat

Automation Help[Installations, UAC, Vmware Client/Host]

4 posts in this topic

So I am trying to write an automation script on my host computer that controls actions being done in the client. From what I have tried and read on this forum, it seems as if this is not very feasible/elegant. I just wanted to confirm that this is the case and that there is isn't some super fancy method of doing so. So far I have just been sending keystrokes and using the Sleep function a lot. Aside from that I can't really think of anything.

Also, I am trying to get my script to automate some installations on my host. But sometimes the script does not recognize the installation window [e.g. the Java installation] even when I use the WinWait/WinWaitActivate functions. I also use the AutoItWindowInfo to get all the correct titles and stuff needed so I don't think I am using the mentioned functions incorrectly. Is there some reason why they don't recognize the Java installation and other installation windows??

On the same note, I can't seem to bypass the Windows User Account Control and automate accepting that with keystrokes or MouseClicks. Is this not a feasible thing to do and must be done manually?

Thanks!!!

TT

if you are trying to install Java (JRE) there is a way to do this silently.  There is no need to automate the GUI.  Depending on the other software you are trying to install, most should be able to be installed silently as well.   

Are you trying to run the scripts in the VM or through the VCenter console?  There is a way to control UAC for admins, using my >UAC UDF.  Look at _UAC_GetConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin, _UAC_SetConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin, and the $UAC_ELEVATE_WITHOUT_PROMPTING value.  

Adam

#4 ·  Posted (edited)

You can use PowerCLI (powershell api into vsphere) to copy in your script, and then execute, from your station:

https://www.vmware.com/support/developer/windowstoolkit/wintk40u1/html/

(VMware vSphere PowerCLI 4.0 Update 1 includes more than 160 cmdlets, a set of sample scripts, and a function library that make managing and automating the vSphere easier than ever before.)

Doesn't specifically answer your question, but it's a good place to start after you have the UAC piece solved.  The execute function allows you to run as admin, which should get around the UAC...if silent params can be done, then an autoit script wouldn't be needed at all.

Edited by jdelaney

IEbyXPATH-Grab IE DOM objects by XPATH IEscriptRecord-Makings of an IE script recorder ExcelFromXML-Create Excel docs without excel installed GetAllWindowControls-Output all control data on a given window.