Getting Events of explorer.exe

Hello all, 

Any of you know how to get actions done by an user on explorer.exe . i.e(copy file, rename file etc) 

PS: Listening to the entire "file activities" via WMI gets too much data (Hence I only want actions done on explorer.exe) and it also it not possible to find file changes in MTP devices . 

Thanks

Edited by IAm777

You'd probably just have to listen to WMI and filter based on what windows explorer has open. Ex: explorer window open to C:, check for anything happening in the root of the drive.

How about MTP devices ? 

>this i think will work for MTP, as it works for ext4 on Linux NAS. mind you it requires SMB to be setup in synchronous mode.

that's my conclusions from some tests i made very long time ago, and with a different version, but based on the same concept. things may be slightly different today.

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff

>this i think will work for MTP, as it works for ext4 on Linux NAS. mind you it requires SMB to be setup in synchronous mode.

that's my conclusions from some tests i made very long time ago, and with a different version, but based on the same concept. things may be slightly different today.

I dont think MTP is anything like ext4 ,it does not show up as a drive(with drive letters), they show up as "devices" . It needs to monitor the changes being made on the MTP protocol .

for example: If a file is being modified via MTP , the file is downloaded to the device then modified and then reuploaded to the devices.

This is why I thought it will be simpler to monitor manual user actions on explorer.exe . :sweating:  

It's kinda looking like you'll need to work with MTP drivers to actually watch the transfers. Unfortunately I can't actually find a good reference though.

yup , facing the same problem ...

I will post answer when I find it :)